Chapter One || No Man's Land

"If it's real they'll find you no matter how far you go."

- R. M. Drake

No Man's LandDay 87

No Man's Land
Day 87

The last three months had been a living hell. Gotham City had become a true no man's land after Jeremiah Valeska blew the bridges. Criminals took control over territory, which only grew since then. Other people had taken refuge in the GCPD's headquarters and Jim Gordon did everything he could to keep them safe with the limited resources he had, which only become lesser as time went by. The government had abandoned Gotham completely, so people were on their own. It was survival of the fittest and people had to steal from others if they wanted to eat.

Charlotte Bateman was staying at the GCPD's headquarters along with a hundred and fifty refugees and the staff who had refused to leave their city unprotected. She used the GCPD's resources to search for her boyfriend, Edward Nygma, the Riddler. She hadn't seen him since moments before the bridges blew. What scared her the most was the blood she had found on the ground of the Cherry's. Thoughts of Ed being dead had crossed her mind, but there was no body to confirm it, so she had hope he was still alive.

At the moment, Charlotte was standing over a map and crossed the places she had searched that day. Few places were left on the map for her to look through. Every sector was carefully labeled, so she knew who controlled it. The GCPD owned a ten-block area around the precinct at the Upper West Side they called green zone. Their goal was to extend their territory all the way down to Tricorner, but they had to get past the Street Demonz and there was little ammunition for a confrontation. Lo Boyz controlled a small area in Old Gotham not too far from the GCPD.

Barbara and Tabitha controlled the area around the Sirens club. Women had gone there looking for safety and men had to buy time by bringing her information or something else she would need. It was the only place in Gotham not suffering from lack of food or booze.

Victor Zsasz was in the area across from the Sirens club right on the other side of Robinson Park. He controlled a big area he had taken over all on his own. A month before, Charlotte had sought refuge in the apartment he was staying in. She was out looking for Ed when a gang tried to kill her. Victor had an arsenal and together they managed to eliminate them all. Charlotte was happy to know everything was well between Zsasz and her and she could count on him.

On the north side of Gotham, there was the Scarecrow, who had gathered a gang to spread fear. To the west, there was Firefly, who had a ring of fire around her turf to keep people away. She fought with Victor Fries for territory and many people had been killed when caught in the crossfire.

Then there was Oswald Cobblepot, who controlled quite an ambitious area. He had taken over City Hall, had an ammunition factory and trade it for food. Charlotte had tried to go to him for help, but his high security had managed to keep her from getting anywhere close to him.