Chapter Thirteen || Stranded

One month later, the submarine was finally ready. It was time for Barbara, Charlotte, Ed, and Oswald to leave Gotham City. There were rumors that reunification would be soon, but they didn't believe it. How could they? When that wasn't the first time they heard those exact same words.

Charlotte and Ed were happier than ever. As soon as they arrived at the mainland, they planned to go to Blüdhaven and get married. The city was nowhere near perfect, but it was similar to Gotham City in many aspects and it was close.

Oswald didn't want to leave Gotham. It was his home. He didn't want low-lives like the Street Demons and the Lo-Boyz to take over his beloved city and tear it apart. And as much as Blüdhaven was like Gotham, it wasn't the same and it would never come close.

Barbara was the last to arrive at the pier. When she parked her car, she could see the submarine. It was smaller than she had imagined, but hopefully, it would not sink to the bottom of the river or come in contact with a mine.

She got out of the car and let out a deep breath as a hand rested on her belly. Her nine-month pregnancy would soon be over and her baby would come into the world, a brutal and crime-riddled world. Deep inside she wished her child could be born in Gotham and at the same time, she wanted the baby to stay far away from it. Not to mention Jim Gordon would never trust her with his baby. He would do everything in his power to get custody and raise the child with Lee. Barbara couldn't let that happen.

Charlotte and Ed were making some last-minute checks on the submarine to make sure everything was in order.

Ed got down from the ladder after Charlotte and turned to his fiancée with a smile. "We'll be married soon. I still can't believe this is happening. It looks like a dream".

The blonde smiled in returned and placed a soft kiss on his lips before replying. "It's real, Ed. I know it sounds too good to be true and I know that's now how our lives usually go, but our wedding is happening no matter what".

Ed's gloved hands rested on her waist. He felt like the happiest man alive with her hands running through his hair. "You're right. I don't care about anything else as long as you're with me". He kissed her. It was a kiss that showed the love they had for each other and the happiness they felt in their hearts. When they pulled away, one of Ed's hands went up to Charlotte's cheek, and he stroke it with his thumb. "I love you, Charlotte".

"I love you too, Ed," she answered with all the love that she had never felt before they met.

The playing card with a question mark, which Ed kept now on the chest pocket of his green suit was almost falling off and Charlotte tucked it back in, only one of the tips, with the Ace of diamonds, peeking out of the pocket.

The couple shared another kiss before joining Barbara and Oswald.

"Cutting it a little close, aren't we?" Oswald asked Barbara as he pointed at her belly. To him, it looked like she had swallowed a planet. He hoped she wouldn't give birth on board.

"Is that under twenty-seven pounds, thirteen ounces?" Ed asked mockingly.

"It can't possibly make that big a difference," Barbara replied in annoyance while dragging her blue and white suitcase behind her.

Charlotte didn't agree with the other blonde. "It kinda does".

"It's only the difference between getting off this island or sinking to the bottom of the river," Ed added with a nod towards Charlotte. Oswald nodded in agreement.

Barbara turned her accusatory blue eyes towards Oswald. "Well, then Pengy can off-load a few of his knickknacks".

That aggravated Oswald. No way would he leave his treasures behind. They had been loaded into the submarine earlier that morning and his dog, Edward, was inside watching over it. "Not a chance. Because you know what's worth its weight in gold? Gold!"