Chapter Twenty-One || The Batman

"You're sure you want to do this?" Ed asked Charlotte as he saw the criminals swarming the conference room in the penthouse of Gotham's Museum

"You're sure you want to do this?" Ed asked Charlotte as he saw the criminals swarming the conference room in the penthouse of Gotham's Museum. "We can find another way, just the two of us. The abandoned train yard would be the perfect place. We could challenge Batman with our riddles and watch him try to work that undeveloped brain of his until he realizes he's no match for us".

"We'll get to do all of that, my love," Charlotte caressed his cheek softly and he looked away from the other villains to face her. His face softened. "Let's be honest here, none of them will be able to catch Batman no matter how good they think they are. The mobs are losing their influence and power since Batman started attacking their hideouts. They all want retribution. It's the perfect moment to attack. We just need them to keep him distracted while we-"

Charlotte was interrupted when she was engulfed in a hug. "Zsasz," Ed spat with venom dripping from his voice.

Victor ignored him, not acknowledging the Riddler's existence at all. "Charls," he rubbed her back.

She patted his back in return. "Good to see you too, Vic".

Ed narrowed his eyes as Zsasz continued hugging her. "Alright, that's enough". He grabbed Victor's arm and pulled him away from his wife.

"Careful, I just added a new scar there," Zsasz pulled his arm away from Ed's grip. "Who are you again?"

"I'm her husband, the Riddler. We've met before," Ed told him with deep annoyance.

Zsasz eyed Ed's suit. "Oh, right, the green guy".

Charlotte grabbed Ed's hand and rubbed it soothingly until Zsasz left to great Oswald. "It's okay, Ed. Let's go through this now and then they'll go".

But another guest approached. "Charlotte," a female voice called.

The two turned to face her. Ed eyed the red-haired woman suspiciously. "Who are you?"

"Ivy," Charlotte smiled at her old friend. "It's been a long time".

"Yes, around twelve years," she glanced at Ed with a look of contempt. "You married this man? After everything he did to you? He tried to kill you twice, or was it three times?"

Ed stepped forward angrily. "Listen here, Poison Ivy. Yes, Charlotte told me about your new name. I'm not the same man I was back then, okay? But just like before I will not hesitate to kill-"

Charlotte thightened her grip on Ed's hand, interrupting him once she saw Ivy raise her hand with sharp green nails ready to carve them into his neck. If looks could kill. "It's alright, Ed. Go over to Oswald. That vein on his forehead looks like it's about to pop".

The Riddler tore his eyes away from Ivy to look at his wife. "Fine, but if she keeps looking at me like that, I won't hesitate to use my trigger finger".

"How scary," said Ivy boredly as Ed walked away.

Charlotte threw her arms around Ivy. She expected Ivy to push her away, but that didn't happen. After a few seconds, Ivy placed her arms around Charlotte as well. The hug comforted both of them, especially Ivy. She had never received a hug like that in her life.