Chapter Seven || Broken

After being chased by Ed Nygma almost all night, Jim Gordon managed to short out the chip in Ed's brain and took him to a familiar place, The Sirens. Ed had been injured after he hid behind a car and Ed shot at it, causing the window to break and cut the side of his neck. It would need stitches, so Ed volunteered to get the aid kit to avoid the conversation about trust that Barbara and Jim were currently having.

All Ed wanted was to go after Eduardo and figure out what had happened to Charlotte. He wondered if he had hurt her while under the control of Eduardo and was worried sick about her. However, he knew she was still alive. She had to be.

Barbara looked at Jim sadly. "What's it gonna take for you to trust me?"

"After everything you've done, I honestly don't know," answered Jim. Barbara was even sadder after those words. She thought that maybe after the night they had in his office things would change.

Before Barbara could come up with a reply, Eduardo walked in with a bunch of soldiers behind him. The worst part though was that he dragged Charlotte along with him and she was in a horrible state. Barbara and Charlotte were never able to stand each other, but even she felt bad for the other blonde. Charlotte's jaw was all bruised, there were bleeding gashes on her cheeks and mouth, and blood slid down her chin. Her eyes were red from crying and her hands were tied behind her back. But they all could see she had fought back. Eduardo had a gash on the corner of his lips and a bruised cheek. Some of the other soldiers had black eyes and cuts on their faces as well. But Jim was shocked by what his old friend had done to the woman. He didn't know how Charlotte was able to keep standing.

"I'd listen to her, Jim," Eduardo said. "I hear trust is in short supply". Jim stepped a little closer as Eduardo continued talking. "You forget your PSYOPS training, Jim? Lesson one: when a person is in trouble, they go to a familiar place. Your ex-fiancé's bar was just a stone's throw away, so... It's nice to finally meet you, Barbara".

Barbara sent him a sarcastic smile. "Screw you".

Jim looked at the blonde being held by Eduardo. She was looking at him as if asking for him to help her or tell her Ed was safe. "Charlotte?"

Eduardo chuckled as he looked at Charlotte too. "She won't be able to answer you, Jim. After all, I broke her jaw. And a couple of ribs too. It seems you've lost your tail".

Jim looked back at Eduardo and stepped closer. "You mean the psychopath you ordered to kill me?"

"You had your chance," Eduardo told him. He felt Charlotte trying to get away from his hold and glared at her. She glared in return but stopped struggling, so Eduardo faced Jim again. "It could have been like old times, buddy. You, me, together, making the world a better place".

"By murdering civilians?" Jim was disgusted with what his old friend had become.

"Civilians?" Eduardo snorted as he looked at Charlotte one more time. "Is that what you call this? A civilian? This hellhole is infested with criminals and terrorists. Sometimes you just have to clean house, you know?"

"I won't let you," Jim defied.

"It's not your call, Jim," Eduardo replied right away.

Jim cocked his gun and all the soldiers raised their weapons and pointed them at him. "I'm not dead yet".

All of a sudden, Ed burst in with a kitchen knife in hand. He had heard Eduardo's voice, but he didn't saw Charlotte and just ran towards Jim. She saw him and wanted to call for him, but her swollen jaw didn't let her.

"James Gordon, I've been ordered to kill you," Ed said and wielded the knife dangerously close to Jim.

Charlotte thought Ed was really under the control of Eduardo and looked away. Eduardo noticed and grabbed her face to make her face Ed and Jim fighting. She couldn't scream, but even if she didn't have a broken jaw she wouldn't anyway since she felt too weak to make a sound. However, tears of pain rolled down her cheeks.