Chapter Fourteen || Death threats

Screams were heard from the room Barbara Kean was standing in. It was time for her baby to be born and she couldn't be happier. Except it was too painful and the baby should have waited until they were out of Gotham.

Lee rubbed her lower back, not that it could ease the pain she was going through. And there wasn't any medication to numb the pain. But at least there were ice chips so Barbara wouldn't get dehydrated.

"Gee, thanks," Barbara remarked sarcastically.

Lee was about to leave Barbara's room to go get the ice chips, but the door opened before she could get there. Ed appeared in front of her with Charlotte right behind and Lee froze in her spot. It wasn't the best time to have an argument with Ed while Barbara was in labor.

"Don't worry, I'm not here for you," Ed spoke, knowing what she was thinking. Charlotte looked away and Lee followed her gaze to see she was staring at Barbara. The latter placed a protective hand over her belly. "But for the record, you stabbed me first".

Oswald interrupted the glare contest by shoving his way through them and stepping farther into the room. "If you three are quite done, we are actually here for Barbara. Or more precisely, what she stole from us".

"I don't know what this is about, and I don't care," Lee stated, having to put the baby's safety first. "You two need to get out of here right now".

"Gladly," Oswald stepped forward, causing Lee to step backwards. "Just as soon as Barbara gives us the..." he turned to the couple standing behind him, "what's it called?"

"Pressure regulator valve," Charlotte and Ed answered simultaneously.

Oswald faced Barbara and Lee again. "Right. That".

Ed stepped forward, not being able to contain his frustration. He couldn't believe Barbara had managed to steal something from him all by herself. "I should have known that you would try to screw us over".

"You only noticed because you tried to screw me over first," Barbara snapped back at him.

Ed smirked and held up two fingers before moving them apart. "Second, technically".

Charlotte and Oswald chuckled at Ed's sassy remark. However, Lee didn't find it amusing. "Okay, she's in the middle of having a baby".

Oswald continued stepping forward while Lee stepped back, standing in between the trio and Barbara. "And we are in the middle of trying to leave Gotham, and we can't do that without a crucial part of the submarine which will ferry us all away from here!"

Lee looked back at Barbara with a look that said 'I knew you were planning something'. "That's why you were in such a rush to get out of here".

"As are we," Oswald took out his gun and pointed it at Barbara. "Hand over the part now".

"Don't point that at the baby," Lee stared at Oswald with wide eyes and a protective hand in front of Barbara's belly.

Oswald looked down at his gun and quickly lowered it down, but he kept waving it around as he spoke. "What? No, I did not! I... I was merely trying to make a general threatening gesture with a firearm".

"But you did, though," Ed accused. "You pointed the gun at the baby".

Charlotte also sent him an accusatory look. "You shouldn't keep waving your gun around either".

"All right, fine. I'm sorry!" Oswald exclaimed as if the baby could hear him. "Now give us what we want!" He shouted at Barbara.

The contractions were coming back and Oswald's screaming wasn't helping. It was like the baby was kicking its way out to punch Oswald in the face. "No! You think I'm stupid enough to have the part on me? It's hidden away, somewhere safe. And if you think you can torture me into telling you where, there is literally nothing more painful than what I am going through right now!"