Chapter Six || The answer

"I am half agony, half hope."

- Jane Austen

***

Things weren't exactly calm in City Hall. "The Army's invading the city, locking everyone up," one of the Penguin's henchmen told him. "They're coming this way".

Oswald rolled his eyes as he stared out the window. "Please. An invasion is tanks, infantry. These are scouts. What about Bateman and Nygma?"

"Nobody's seen 'em, but we got feelers out," the henchman answered.

"Well, you tell your 'feelers' that the first man to bring me Bateman and Nygma is the one who gets to live. Now!" Oswald shouted as he pointed at the door. The henchman quickly walked out, not wanting to anger his boss any further. As soon as the man left, Oswald walked towards his dog, who was laying on its own little throne. "I am surrounded by morons, Edward. If I didn't have an empire to run, I would go get Bateman and Nygma myself".

Oswald looked at his desk, where he had left his gun, but saw it wasn't there anymore

Oswald looked at his desk, where he had left his gun, but saw it wasn't there anymore. He gasped as he started looking around for an intruder. He noticed someone had gotten in through the vents. He limped all the way there and when he turned around, Oswald was met with two guns pointed at him. One was held by Charlotte and his own gun was being held by Ed.

"Hello, Oswald. We have a great deal to talk about," Ed greeted him coldly. "But first, did you name your dog after me?"

Oswald looked over at his beloved dog, who looked back at him lazily. "Well... yes, I did".

Ed seemed angrier than before. "What did you do to me, Oswald?"

The Penguin seemed genuinely confused. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh, please," Ed knew better than to believe whatever came out of Oswald's mouth. However, Charlotte wondered whether or not he was telling the truth. She observed every single expression on Oswald's face as Ed continued to accuse him. "You did something to me. You..." Ed stepped forward and Oswald stepped back until they were in the middle of the room. Charlotte stood by Ed's side as he advanced. "You are the reason that I killed those people. How could you? You have made me into some murderous puppet. For weeks, I've been waking up in strange places, not knowing how I got there or what I did. Driving myself mad, thinking I had gone mad. And now I know that it was all your doing. Of everything that you have put me through, this... this is the most cruel. I have hurt people. I could have hurt Charlotte".

Oswald scoffed as he thought to himself that Charlotte would surely have Ed on the floor if he ever attempted anything. She let him hurt her once, she wouldn't let that happen twice no matter how much she loved him. "Ed, I don't know what you're talking about. I did not make you do anything".

"He's telling the truth," Charlotte suddenly blurted out, but she didn't lower the gun.

"Of course I am!" Oswald pointed at her with a nod. "Listen to her, Ed".