As Above, So Below

"Ben's death haunts me, Jug." Ellie tells her brother a few weeks later as the two share a spliff off in the woods somewhere before school. "He didn't scream. Why not, I wonder. Because that's one of the rules of Gryhpons and Gargoyles?"
"Ellie, that's what we're missing." Jug says with enthusiasm in his voice, he digs out his notepad from his bag and goes to the pages he made about G & G. "There's no rulebook, no player's manual. What is that's the key to all this? The way that Ethel, Ben and Dilton talk about it like a religion."
"Yeah, or a cult." Ellie says, taking the spliff from Jug.
"And every cult has its king."

"Veronica says she's going to have a very strict dresscode at her speakeasy." Betty tells her friends later on at school.
"Of course we're calling it a speakeasy." Jug says. "And, uh, what are you getting at?" He asks, gesturing to his outfit. Betty just gives him a sarcastic but joking look.
"Hey, Ethel's back." Sweet Pea points out as they walk down the hall.
"Yeah she's talking to that weirdo girl from the Farm." Ellie says.
"Oh, my God." Betty says, pulling them all to the side, out of sight. "What if the game, is connected to the Farm? Ben, Dilton and Ethel started playing the game this summer, which is when the Farm and the Evernevers moved to Riverdale. Eveyln's dad, Edgar, is their leader. My mom won't stop talking about him. He's like a kind of--."
"King?" Jug asks. "How much do you two know about him and the Farm?"
"Basically nothing." Ellie replies. They watch as Ethel and Evelyn hug.
"Should we start with Evelyn or Ethel?" Jughead asks.
"Ethel." Betty replies. "Evelyn creeps me out.
"Okay, but last time we talked to Ethel, she had a seizure." Ellie points out.
"We'll be more gentle this time, won't we Ellie." Betty says, small smile on her face.

Ellie, Sweet Pea, Jughead and Betty split off into their respectable couples for lunch as they enjoy sitting with just them and their significant other sometimes.
"So, Veronica is opening up her speakeasy and we've been invited." Ellie tells Sweet Pea, swallowing her bite of her sandwich.
"A speakeasy, really?" Sweet Pea scoffs.
"I know it's not your thing, but I'd really love for you to come, dance with me."
"Dancing? Okay that's too far, I'll dance with you to Micheal Jackson in our living room in our underwear but dancing at a speakeasy, to speakeasy music, wearing speakeasy clothes?"~
Ellie laughs at Sweet Pea's choice of words. "One dance, one song, one hour that's all I'm asking for, please baby?" Ellie asks, leaning into his ear. "When I'm dress shopping I might even buy something nice to wear underneath for afterwards. Only if you say yes of course." Ellie flashes a small smile and an eyelid bat to her boyfriend.
"Fine." Sweet Pea rolls his eyes. "But only if I get to pick the color."
"Course, go ahead."
"Baby pink looks awesome on you." Sweet Pea smirks.
"Done." Ellie winks and the two clink their forks together, a way of sealing a deal, they've always done it for some reason, it's one of their things that nobody understands but them.

"Ethel." Jug gets her attention as the teenagers find her in a science classroom alone. "Hi. Are you eating alone? Do you mind if we--."
"The doctors put me on medication." Ethel interrupts. "To stop the seizures. I was having them multiple times a day. It's very strong."
"Look if Betty, Ellie and I did something to trigger your seizures, we're sorry. We were just trying to help." Jug says, voice kind.
"Like you were trying to help my boyfriend, Ben, when he threw himself out a window?" Ethel replies.
"Ethel." Betty sighs sitting on a stool opposite her. "When you collapsed, did you have any visions?"
"I honestly don't remember." Ethel shrugs.
"Okay." Betty nods.
"How long have you been friends with Evelyn Evernever?" Ellie asks, leaning on the workbench.
"Evelyn's the best." The redheaded girl smiles. "She visited me in the hospital and is helping me to get better, so I can titrate down my meds."
"Was that her idea or her dad's?" Betty asks. "Wait have you met Mr Evernever?"
"If you're so curious, Betty, you should check out Evelyn's peer support group. Principal Weatherbee gave her permission to start a student chapter of the Farm here at Riverdale High." Ethel tells the two. The bell rings and she begins to walk off but Jughead stops her in her tracks.
"Before Ben, uh.." Jug struggled to find the words to say. "He had mentioned reuniting with Dilton in the Kingdom. You know what that means? Two people have died, playing Gryphons and Gargoyles."
"G & G." Ethel corrects him.
"We have no idea why. This is a crazy question. Do you have a rulebook or a player's manual?" Ellie asks.
"You mean the scripture?" Ethel asks and Ellie and Jug's faces lighten up.
"Yes. That." Jug smiles. "Do you own a copy?"
"I can't just tell you that, obviously."
"Please? Princess Etheline?" Jug asks, using her game name. This made Ellie cringe more than ever but she kept composure as it looked like they were getting somewhere.
"Don't call me that. You haven't earned that privilege and you're definitely not worthy of a king scripture."
"Yes, but I wanna be." Jug says, smiling. "I wanna be worthy, Ethel. Could you please show me how?"
Ethel sighs before looking between Ellie, Jughead and Betty. "Meet me tonight at Dilton's bunker, but just you. Sorry, Betty and Ellie  but you'll never be worthy, no matter how hard you try." Ethel says before leaving.
The three teens look at each other, thoroughly confused but still sniggering at the comment directed towards the girls.
"Well, looks like you are on Ethel Muggs detail. And we girls are in need of some serious peer support." Ellie says, small smirk, pointing to the poster about the group on the wall.