[Chapter 3] week of troublesome feelings

Hikobane slowly took my hand in his, and then licked the drops of juice from my fingertips.  Then blushed a deep red, I couldn't pull my eyes away from him while he did so. And I was pretty sure I was blushing from my nose, to the tips of my ears. Our gazes were locked, and I didn't even have the least bit of repulsion as he touched his tounge to the liquid.

"it's the only way to get it off, without it staining your hands." He said.

"U-hh..." I couldn't speak, it was like my body wouldn't do anything but sit there, and watch in suprise as he continued.

"Forgive me, bit there's more..." he said, and then reached out to cup my face in his large hands. He leaned closer, and my heart began to race, it was so loud that I knew for sure he had heard it. I instinctively scrunched my eyes closed, and waited for what was to come, but the only thing I felt was a cloth gently rub my lips and chin.

    I opened my eyes, and he was wiping it off with his sleeve. And when he was done, he sat back and closed his eyes. I was a little disappointed for some reason though. And I felt a familiar pang in my chest, what was wrong with me? I should be feeling this, not with him, or, Enojo.

"Hey, I found a river just a little ways from here..." I said.

"Really? Well that's good." He smile and said.

He got up, and looked down at me, and streched out his hand, and I smiled my thanks, and took it. He helped me up, and we made our way around, finding useful things, like more wood, and food, and water.

    I had no idea that Hikobane could be so useful. He caught fish and made a small temporary bucket for water. We collected more berries and water crest, we had found spear mint with it also, so we decided to have a water crest and wint berry soup, we added a few things, like chestnuts, and walnuts. He put the fish on a spit, and started roasting it, along side the boiling water, he put the left over mint and crest into the fish along with the rest of the nuts.

    When it was done, we took it off and opened them up. They were delicious smelling, and so was the soup. We ate in silence, but it was a lot different than the few other times we sat in eachothers company and were silent. This time, it didn't feel awkward,  or oppressive. It was a comfortable kind of silent, and it made me happier that these past three days of traveling with him had brought us closer, and we finally had a friendship.

    We disposed of the fish remains, and cleaned up our little spot.

"Oh! Wow..." I said, as I looked up at the sky. The stars were so beautiful,  they twinkled like a million jewels up on there.

"Do you like the night sky?" He asked.

"Yes, as a child, I used to wish I had wings, so I could fly up there, and enjoy how beautiful,  and different things might seem. I bet it's incredible up there..." I said wistfully.

"Yeah, I bet it is different up there..." he said. He looked up, and watched the sky twinkle. I could see the different emotions play on his face, as he was stuck in nostalgia. I wondered what he could be thinking about...

    Just then, we heard a familiar crow, from a high tree branch, and we looked over to it.

I looked back at Hikobane,  and he was watching the bird, as if he were studying it from a distance.

"Excuse me, Nibiri, I have something to do really quickly, will you please stay here?" He asked. I didn't even have time to answer before he stood and left.

    I looked back up to the branch the bird was on, and didn't see it anymore.

    After a while of waiting, I got worried. It had probably been at leat an hour and a half,  if not two. So I set off in search of him. I knew I shouldn't have been worried about him, he was a strong fighter, so he could take care of himself. But I couldn't shake the feeling something was off about him suddenly leaving like that.

After wandering around aimlessly,  I finally came to a clearing. I was just about to round a tree when I heard his voice. I froze, he was talking to someone, but I didn't know who.

"Tell them she is alright, and we've made it saftly to the river of Kioto. And then, I need you to tell them..." I couldn't hear the rest of what he said, but I felt the presence of the other person leave, and walked out, I had to look at the ground, because there were large route wades.

"Hey Hikobane,  who were you just talking to-" I stopped mid-sentance, and was horrified by the sight brfore me.

Hikobane and never frightened me more than I was right there, because he was what the old fairy tales had spoke of, he was a...

Thanks 4 reading, comment and vote, for a chance to help change our protagonists story a little, ♡♥♡♥ ^-^