XVI

"Are you two really together now? I don't remember you told me about it." Hillary asked Lindsay curiously as they were retouching their makeups inside the Ladies' Room.

Lindsay stopped fixing her eyebrows and looked Hillary through the mirror, she then looked at the closed door at their back and turned to Hillary again.

"Yes. I think it's about time, you know. I'm sorry, maybe I was too caught up that I was not able to update you but I don't remember not telling you either, it's weird." Lindsay excused.

"Yeah, weird that I only knew about this. I thought you were straight. Though, I am not judging you, ok. I just thought you were, that's all." Hillary explained. She doesn't want to push this issue any further so she fixed her things quickly and turned to the door and waited for her best friend to finish.

"Are you mad at me for not telling you about this plan?" Lindsay asked.

"What plan?" Hillary furrowed her eyebrows and turned to look at Lindsay.

Lindsay quickly composed herself trying to shake whatever is creeping through her mind right now. "Huh? What I mean is this plan, like dating Dani."

"Oh." Hillary said. "Hurry up, some of the guests might be looking for me right now, and your 'babe'" Hillary teased as she led her way through the ballroom.

Lindsay just chuckled while following her best friend's trail and immediately turned her way to Daniella who was patiently waiting for her at their table.

"What took you so long?" Daniella pouted.

"I fixed this face, babe." Lindsay answered as she points a finger to her face.

"Hmm. I see nothing to fix on it." Daniella smirked, trying to get a smile from her girlfriend and it did not fail her. She smiled back. That's the only thing she wants to see all night, it just makes her happy.

Their attention was snatched from each other when they heard a weird noise from the microphone that is being prepared just right above the stairs. It was Hillary's dad, standing in front of it while fixing his suit.

"Good evening, everyone. I'd like to thank you all for coming tonight. I know some of you travelled by plane just to get here and celebrate with my daughter, Hillary. Know that your presence is the best gift we ever received tonight. As all of you already know, today is my only daughter's birthday, and I have been wanting to do this for over a month now. But I want it to be special and what more could make it special but to give it as a birthday present?" Mr. Qiangdong announced.

Hillary was standing behind her dad with her husband. She doesn't have any idea about what her father is up to but she knows that it is something grand. Maybe her dad will grant her request of building her own cosmetics business under the Qiangdong Global Services.

"Hillary, my daughter." He said, as he ushers his daughter to come forward with him. His Chinese accent makes this moment more real and passionate as he smiles to her and looks at her with so much love.

"Everybody knows, especially the people in my company that Hillary started her job as an assistant to my Group Manager." He narrated, looking at everyone in the audience.

"Almost immediately, most of them asked me, 'Why not hire her as a COO or the CFO? I'm the Chairman and I can put whoever I want on those positions but why didn't I?" The Chinese man really knows how to gain the attention of the audience because even the waiters and the guards are already looking and listening to what he was saying.