Chapter 8

“Tickets, please!” the ticket master yelled over the hustle and bustle of the crowd down at the train station, “Thank you very much, Miss.” the ticket master said as Amanda handed over the tickets and stepped onto the train with Jeremy.

            “Thank you, Jeremy, oh thank you!” even after four days, Amanda was still thanking Jeremy, “You really don’t have to do this, though. It’s not too late for you to turn back, if you want to. The ship should be leaving in a couple of hours. There’s still time to make it back!”

            “Amanda,” Jeremy laughed, “I’m not going anywhere. I’m staying right here, by your side.”

            “Excuse me, sir, but you cannot bring that beast on the train!” they heard the ticket master yelling at a man at the very front, “I’m afraid we’re going to have to kick you off if you don’t release that creature outside at once.”

            The two friends heard the loud clomp of dress shoes as a man in a tan trench coat with a tall hat covering most of his face came into view. He was holding a leash attached to an orange and white tiger, and he seemed to be staring at the two of them. It seemed like a crazy thought, but so did the tiger. As they approached, the strange pair sat in the seats behind them, which were the very last seats on the train.

            “Excuse me!” the ticket master was yelling, running down the train isle, stopping at the last seat, where the strange man was sitting, “That’s strange.” He muttered to himself, seeming to look right through the man and his little ‘pet’, “I could’ve sworn I saw him head this way!”

            “Excuse me?” Amanda inquired, “Who are you looking for?”

            “Oh, nobody. Really it’s fine. Wouldn’t want you to worry your pretty little head off,” the ticket master tried to smile at her, but couldn’t muster it.

            “No, really. I could help.” Amanda persisted, curious to know what was going on.

            “Well...” the ticket master pondered, “If you’re sure...” When Amanda nodded he continued, “A young man in a trench coat and a hat just walked on board without paying. In addition to that, he brought with him a tiger on leash! Have you seen him around?”

            As Amanda slowly turned around, fear crept up inside of her. Behind her was a man who fit the ticket master’s description exactly. Her eyes were wide, and her mouth was halfway open.

When the ticket master followed her gaze, though, he saw nothing, “Excuse me? Are you all right?”

“Yes, I’m fine.” Amanda said slowly, enunciating each letter perfectly, her bewildered expression unchanging.

“Are you sure?” the ticket master put a hand on her shoulder, “You look a little dazed.”

“Yes, she’s fine.” Jeremy brushed his hand off of Amanda’s shoulder by putting his own arm around her, “Now back off.”