Chapter 17

‘What will I do?’ Jeremy thought to himself, lying on the king size bed in the giant room he had fallen asleep in earlier that day, ‘Where will I go? I don’t know the way back home! Should I just stay here for the rest of my life?’ his mind filled with questions, and he shut his eyes, imagining the worst, ‘Will I ever see Amanda again? Is she dead?’ his eyes fixed on the ceiling as they once again filled with tears. Sobbing and shaking, Jeremy slowly walked outside to get a breath of fresh air, ‘What will I do without her?’

            He lay down on the grass and stared at the sky, and the sky seemed to be staring back at him, taunting him with every moving cloud. “We watched your friend get kidnapped as she and the dragon flew through us,” they seemed to be saying. “She’s probably dead by now, you know. We saw it with our own eyes.”

            “I hate you! Just leave me alone!” he shouted up at the silent clouds, although they hadn’t said a word. Jeremy was slowly going insane. He reached into his pocket, grabbed the lightning bolt, and fired it up into the sky in desperation. He heard a crash and a scream, and then the body of a young girl with brown hair wearing sandals with wings came tumbling down onto the Earth, unmoving.

            “Amanda!” he screamed, rushing over to his friend. He sat down on the grass next to her, and started crying once more, but more violently. He started violently beating his forehead with his fist. This time he knew she was dead, and it was all his fault. He reached into his pocket again, but this time, he took out the doll of Athena, speaking between tears, “Oh, great Athena, what should I do?”

            “Check her pulse,” the miniature clay version of Athena robotically responded.

            “She- she’s still alive?” his eyes filled with hope, and he put two fingers on her pale white wrist. Her pulse was slowing down, little by little, “But barely,” he said to himself once he checked her pulse.

            Jeremy looked at the ground. His hope was disappearing with her heartbeat, little by little. All of a sudden, an idea came to him, “We need help. We need Apollo!” for on the ground next to Amanda, was the golden flute, which must have fallen out of her pocket as she tumbled down to the Earth. Jeremy picked up the flute, and blew long and hard until Apollo appeared by his side.           

            “Gods, you didn’t have to call me so soon, Amanda,” Apollo complained before he realized who blew the flute, or noticed Amanda lying on the floor. “It can take a while to get any god or goddess into Tartarus, especially Iris, violent goddess she is, with all of kicks, punches, and screams. She nearly blew up my eardrum!”

            “Wait, what?” Jeremy asked, a waterfall of tears still coming out of his blotchy eyes, “So Iris was behind it all? Well, who cares, right now, anyway? Amanda is going to freakin’ DIE! SHE NEEDS YOUR HELP!”

            “She WHAT? WHERE IS SHE?” now it was Apollo’s turn to be surprised, “Take me to her!”

            As Jeremy pointed to the ground below them, Apollo knelt down to the ground next to her, “I can’t do much for wounds this bad, only scrapes and scratches, but I know a god, actually, one of my sons, who can. Follow me with your winged sandals. I’ll carry Amanda.”