Chapter 13

“I still can’t get over how fun it is to fly!” Amanda twirled midair, “I feel like an angel!”

            “You look like one too,” Jeremy commented, and she really did. Her long silky brown hair was blowing in the wind behind her, and as she twirled, her brown skirt that usually lay just below her knees popped out like an umbrella. Her hazel eyes sparkled as the sun glinted off of them.

            “Thanks!” she blushed, as she twirled around again, her rosy cheeks like a rose on a summer’s day, “You don’t look so bad yourself!”

            “Is it just me, or did it get hot in here?” Jeremy asked.

            “Thanks, Jeremy!” Amanda replied, blushing again.

            “No, seriously, turn around,” he replied, sheer terror plastered on his face. “There’s a dragon behind you. Well, it looks like a dragon, anyway. It has the face of the girl, its body is of a snake, it has brightly colored wings, and it walks on all fours with claws that look so sharp they could tear you apart! Plus, it’s breathing fire.”

            Amanda slowly turned around, “I guess we will be fighting a dragon after all,” she meekly grabbed the diamond and lightning bolt from out of her pocket. “Do you want the diamond or the lightning bolt?”

            “I’ll take the bolt,” Jeremy confidently replied. “It was my dad’s, after all, wasn’t it?”

            As Amanda threw the lightning bolt to Jeremy, the bright creature swooped down, sustaining a midair position for a second, as if deciding which one of them would be her snack. Jeremy aimed the bolt, but the dragon- like creature was too quick on its feet. She (for the creature had the face of a girl) swooped down, grabbing Amanda by the ankle, it’s sharp claws digging into her skin, it’s sharp beak pecking at her face, and began to fly off. Their was nothing left of Amanda but her fading image and her blood dripping onto the cold, hard ground below. As he looked down, he noticed one of her winged sandals was fluttering to the ground as well. One of its angelic wings had torn. Just like Amanda.

“Help, me, Jeremy, help me!” Amanda’s voice was getting even more distant, and Jeremy tried to chase after the creature, but the dragon was faster.

            “I’ll find you, Amanda, if it’s the last thing I do!” he yelled, before shooting after the dragon once more, yet again with no avail.