Chapter 5

“Captain, where will I stay?” Amanda conferred with the captain after most of the crew had left, now a serious tone in her voice.

“I don’t know,” Captain Joyce furrowed his brow, and for the first time Amanda had ever seen, the wise, kind captain was at a loss for words, “Ever since Beck went overboard at that tempest four months ago, I’ve been asking myself the same question. I’ve been trying to find someone to take you in for three months, but with no avail.”

            “So have I.” Amanda responded, “When Beck died I was so heartbroken, though, that I didn’t have a chance to think about myself. He was like the father I never had. When the ship landed at ports, he would always pay for me to stay in my own cabin, and on some nights, when the crew wasn’t eating as a group, he would buy me breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When I first came to the crew, and I was still very young, he would take me to McDonalds, which was then my favorite restaurant. I used to love those little toys they gave out so much! I still nearly cry every time I think of him. Poor, poor Beck.”

“How about this, you can share my hotel room and stay in an adjoining room until you can get a place to stay? Does that sound good to you?” Captain Joyce offered.

“Thank you, Captain Joyce!” Amanda quickly hugged the captain and ran out into the mass of shops and houses to explore.