Chapter 9

“What now?” Jeremy asked once they got to his house from before the ship.

            “I honestly have no idea,” Amanda responded, “Why don’t we ask Apollo for help?”

            “Good idea,” Jeremy agreed, pulling out the flute, “Shall I do the honors?”

            “Go ahead,” Amanda nodded as Jeremy blew into the flute.

            “What’s the emergency?” a frantic Apollo appeared out of thin air next to Jeremy.

            “Where should we start?” Amanda asked, absentmindedly twirling her hair.

            Apollo let out a low growl and plucked the flute out of Jeremy’s hands, “Maybe I forgot to mention, this flute is for EMERGENCY’S ONLY!”

            “Sorry?” Jeremy meekly responded, his words sounding more like a question than an answer.

            “Whatever you say,” Amanda added, still twirling her hair around her pointer finger.

            “Well, since I’m here anyway…” Apollo continued, “What do you need help with?”

            “We have no idea whatsoever where to start our journey,” Amanda responded nonchalantly, looking Apollo in the eyes, while Jeremy stared at the ground, “What exactly do we do?”

            “Isn’t it obvious?” Apollo rudely stated, “You start right here in this town!”

            “But HOW?!” Amanda pursed her lips, determined to get a straight answer out of him.

            “I can’t get too involved in the quests of young demigods,” Apollo warily stated, placing the flute on the dining room table, “but you’re not the only ones aware of the gods in this “friendly little neighborhood”. There are monsters here, too. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go to the gas station. The sun chariot’s running low on oil,” and then he turned on heel, and walked right out the front door.

“Okay……..” Jeremy awkwardly started, “That was strange,”

            “Well, if what he says is true, then we better get exploring! Does your dad happen to have any spy equipment? Sorry, if I’m wrong, though. I don’t have much experience with dads. I never had one.”

            “Neither do I,” Jeremy whispered, “He abandoned me when I was a little baby. My mother couldn’t support our family, so when I was old enough, I got a job on the ship and sent back the money I made at every port.”

For a minute, after those touching words, all that could be heard was the low chirping of birds in the distance.

“No spy equipment, then?” Amanda slyly asked, breaking the silence.

“That’s just like you, Amanda!” he playfully slapped her.

“No, seriously. We gotta get to work,” Amanda said, her expression all business.

“Where should we look first?” asked Jeremy.

“Is there anything I can get you children?” an old woman in a white blouse and skirt just above her knobby knees appeared through the door. Her gray hair was in a tight high bun, and her deep brown eyes were cold and expressionless, “Like maybe a TICKET TO YOUR OWN DEATH!” she quickly transformed into an ugly winged creature and dived toward Jeremy.

“Well, Jeremy, I guess that answers your question,” Amanda remarked, pulling the diamond Ares had given them out of her pocket.

“My gods!” Jeremy screamed, “And I thought that was my little brother’s nanny all these years!”

“I smell demigod!” the fury screeched, her voice like nails on a chalkboard, “Son of Zeus, and daughter of the siren Alexandra!”

“Son of ZEUS?” Jeremy’s eyes widened in surprise as the fury drew closer.

“Jeremy, WATCH OUT!” Amanda yelled as she jabbed diamond of weapons, now a celestial bronze sword, into its slimy, bony back, “Take THAT, beast!”

“Amanda, it’s not dead!” Jeremy worriedly screamed.

“Grab the sacred hammer!” Amanda loudly spoke, trying to contain herself. “Bang it against the cup Dionysus gave us! You can make a prison!”

“Good thinking!” Jeremy yelled back, doing just that. This time he had a confident air of himself. Maybe knowing that he was the son of the most powerful god in the universe boosted his self- confidence. Well, whatever the reason why, he had done so without as second of hesitation. He mustered up all of his courage, and banged on the large, steel cup until his eardrums nearly shattered. Within seconds, a nice, powerful, steel cage was formed around the fury.

“Let me OUT!” the disgusting creature screamed, shaking the bars, “YOU WILL REGRET THIS! Let me OUT, I SAID!”

“Not on our watch,” Amanda cruelly smiled as she pointed her lightning bolt toward the cage.