Chapter 27: Nightmare

Ben's POV

"Yes, we both are fine... No, we didn't get hurt, well not too much... Alright, see you tomorrow... You too, bye." Erica was having a phone call with her mother. She told her most of what happened and informed her that we should meet up as fast as possible. Of course, Erica was using one of the burner phones that she had in her house. Yes, one of them. If I had to guess, she probably had at least one in every room.

"So, my mother can only get here tomorrow. M16 needs her for a bit, something came up. That means we just have to wait." Erica walked up to me once the phone call ended.

"Is Cyrus going to come too?" I asked.

"Yes. Mom told me that she will inform my granddad about our meeting spot... though, she said, that she will not be the one who is going to break the news about how I'm alive." Erica thoughtfully looked in the distance. "The problem now is that I don't know what we should do. The CIA has absolutely no idea about Joshua's organization so they won't have any useful information for us and... well basically, what I am trying to say is that we are completely reliant on my family now. Without them, we can't do anything."

"Well, then once again we have to wait. It's not like we haven't done that for the past few days. One more won't kill us." I made myself more comfortable on the sofa, to make my point further. "We just have to remember that finally, we have something to go on. It hopefully means that soon we will be able to walk outside, without having to be careful to be spotted."

Erica slowly sat down next to me. "Yes... if everything goes well... it could possibly be the end of everything that started... since you arrived at spy school."

XXXXXXXXXXXX

To put it simply, we did not do anything useful the whole day. I guess sometimes that happens on missions. You can't always expect everything to move quickly. There are times when all you have to do is wait.

The whole day Erica seemed to be a bit off. Just like two day's ago she kept mostly to herself and just looked in the distance. I tried to talk with her, but our discussions ended just as quickly as they started. Without having a different choice, I had to give up and hope that she will tell me what is wrong sooner than later.

It was the middle of the night and I woke up for the fifth time already. Because of my bruised back I was finding it hard to find a comfortable sleeping position. Every time I wanted to turn, I woke up. It also didn't help that I was sleeping on the couch again. The thing is, this house wasn't particularly big. It had only two bedrooms, one was Erica's and the other was her parents... well Catherine's. I didn't feel comfortable with sleeping in Erica's mother's bed, so I chose the couch. Though now, I am starting to rethink my choice.

I sat up once I gave up on trying to find another comfortable sleeping position. Slowly I turned from side to side, trying to crack my back, though while doing so, in the corner of my eyes, I noticed that the light in the kitchen was on. I could have sworn it was off when I went to bed.

Standing up, I carefully walked closer to the ajar door, that was separating the two rooms and looked to see if I can see anyone in the kitchen. I did see someone, but I relaxed once I recognized that the person in the other room was Erica, not a burglar or worse, someone from Blaze.

Erica was sitting by a table with a glass of water in front of her.  She was holding her head in her hands, almost like she was trying to calm down. Her head was tilted downwards and her eyes were closed.

"Erica, are you alright? What are you doing up so late?" I asked her as I slowly walked into the kitchen.

She looked up and tried to quickly steady her heavy breathing, doing her best to mask her feelings. "I'm fine. I just came down here to get a quick drink."