Chapter 40

I wake up and immediately pout when I don't find Harry beside me.

"Good morning," he says dressed up in this suit, ready to go to office. I sigh and force a smile on my face. I know it's completely unreasonable to ask him to stay but I don't want to stay away from him.

"I have to go to office for a while but I promise I'll be back very very soon." he kisses me cheek.

"Okay," I say, "I'll go back there myself." I sit up, "I'm so sorry the business is suffering because of me."

"It's not. And you are not going there yourself. I'll come back by the time. Just gimme a couple of hours..."

"Harry, you are exerting yourself for no reason." I cut him, "I can go there myself."

"I'm not exerting myself. Just looking at you smile vanishes my fatigue." he smiles and I reciprocate.

"That's very sweet...but...please." I'm not sure about visiting my mother alone but I have to let him go. His phone vibrates on the table beside me, "Go Harry." I whisper.

"You know I don't want to, right?" he gives me a sad look. I nod and straighten up and kiss him on the cheek.

"Work hard." I say and give him a smile. He takes my chin in his hand.

"You're an obsession, April Gr--" he mixes the Grey part with the sound of throat clear. I laugh and hug him tightly.

After Harry leaves I take a bath and get ready. My hands are so shaky that I'm barely able to tie my shoe lace. I stare at the photo of the woman kept on my dresser. My heart is still refusing the fact that she's my actual mother even though I look a lot like her. I open my phone to look at the picture of my mom, I miss her so damn much. Subconsciously I click on her number and dial it. After two rings she picks up as if waiting for this moment only.

"April?" She says in a hoarse voice, I could feel the sad smile on her face at the other side of the phone, "Are you okay? Where are you? Are you at home? Can you come home?" her words leave her mouth in a hurry showing her excitement towards my call, "Please, say something. Talk to me, honey. I know this is hard for you and I do understand you need some time but lemme explain you..." a sob escapes my mouth before I could cover it. Silent tears were escaping my eyes but as soon as heard her voice emotions burst inside me.

"Please, don't cry sweetheart." she in a cracking voice, "I love you very much, April. Come home." Soon my sobs turned into loud cries and hung up the phone. I drop to the ground and bury my head in my hands crying until I don't have an tear left. Her voice, her warmth, home....everything crumbling into pieces.

I spend the next hour debating with myself whether to go there or not. What if she doesn't want to see me. She obviously didn't want me earlier. My own mom wants me, rather needs me right now. What am I doing? She's the one who raised me, the one who cried when I cried, the one who laughed when I laughed. Should I let the biggest truth of my life affect the purest relationship on this planet? I have no idea what to do.

Another hour passes as I lay in the bed thinking about the memories with my parents. They always had a great plan for my birthday. I remember they would take off from office and instruct the worker, which is an understatement for driving them crazy. My mom used to bake new flavor of cake every year. Their eyes used to twinkle along with mine as they sung happy birthday to me. Oh! The good old days! I get up to check the time. It's only ten in the morning. I move downstairs to find Gemma on the breakfast table.

"Hey!" she says chirpily to me, "You have been busy." she stated the obvious. I was very busy lying in Harry's arms all day. If only, he should be sore from the weight.