Pt. 11

"Help me, god." I groaned through my grinding teeth.

Mara and Ivy had my side, helping get upstairs. I'm taking slow steps at a time like a baby learning to walk. "Break. Let's take a break."

"We're halfway there, madame." Ivy forced me to to stand again but I shouted, "I said I'm taking a break."

She scuffs and gently sets me down. Just because my husband owns her maiden ass doesn't mean I'm taking her bullcrap. I'm not letting her treat me like scum. "Get me more medicine, now." I command.

Thankfully Ivy shuffled away easily. Mara on the other hand is super quiet, she's the only one I can trust. "Where's is he now?" I boldly said as we both stare at the vintage setting below. "Getting more medicine for you and himself."

I nod. Gosh, please tell me what you know, Mara. Her body language tells me a lot, but I need verbal answers.
"Roselle, there's something you must know about master Denver. Let me rephrase that, there's a lot you need to know."

"Yeah, I know he's abusive."

"Other than that. You need to know why he is like that. What drove him. But I can't tell anything as long as miss lover girl is around. She'll blur it to Denver in a beat." She told me to get up as Ivy came back with my pain reliever.

I hold on to her arm and confidentially told them to take me to the garden. I watch Ivy brake down the pill then mix it in water, but I saw she put more than one pill in it. Mara saw that too. I start to laugh uncontrollably.

She stared at us in confusion but also fear. "Ivy, why did you put four pills? That's gonna harm her." Mara crossed her arms.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know-"

"Save it to the judge. If you harm Roselle, then you'll explain to master why you did it. And I'll be waiting in the attick." Mouth open, I turn to Ivy who had a ghost white face. "It was an accident, ma'am, I swear. Please forgive me." She shook her hands and got up, wow she's really scared.

"You are forgiven, go." I said. I hold the glass of water, the bits of the pill were still dissolving. "Just drink half of it," Mara gathered a few pillow for my leg before sitting across from me.

We don't have the much time until Denver comes back.

"What did you mean by waiting in the attick?" I started and she immediately turned me down. "Leave that for later. I'm telling you the most important stuff. Briefly." She lowered her voice a bit, scanning the space occupied by a couple of garden keepers.

"You know how Denver acts all innocent after he-um...does things to you?"

"Me? You see what he--"

"Look, Roselle, I--I basically grew up with him. I was your age when I started working as a personal maid, Denver was thirteen. I know that man like I know my own mind."

"No wonder he's trusts leaving me with you." I drag my hand through my hair in shock. "Ok, I promised him I would never tell this....his parents died of rat poisoning right?" She whispered extremly low. I nodded.
"He visited them the morning they died." I say.

A moment of silence, I could only hear the the sounds of the gardner fixing the bushes. I opened my mouth with shock before she could speak. "He poisoned Regine and Parker Lavoís. So he could inherit their billions, and because they insulted you."

My eyebrows shot up they almost got caught in my hair. "I thought it was a freak accident."

"It was no freak accident! He went in to the kitchen, threatened the butlers, then poisoned all the food. They were already dead by the time he left, he reported the murder himself."

"The letter came came right after Denver arrived. And I thought I was asleep for long. Master of disguise." I let myself sink back onto the pillows.

I'm in a world of lies right now, I really should Denver in depths I don't dream of. In an instant, Mara gets on her feet and helps me up. "He's here. This stays between us." Mara whispers.

Putting on my best acting face, pretending to feel pain on my leg, Mara grinned a bit as Denver came to us. "Hello, love, hello Mara. How's your leg?" He happily said then took me in his arms.

He's so much taller than me that sometimes I to jog to keep up with him. It feels like a step he takes if about 3 feet apart from the next step.
"Just going inside with you." I tell him, and lean against his chest.

He next day while Denver was doing his own thing away from the manor, Mara spent more time in switching secrets. Mara and I sat on the grand stairs watching the other maids clean. "Is his love for me real?" I asked her.

"He does love you, Roselle. I know when he loves someone. He just has a weird way of showing it. Did you hear his scream when you fell down the stairs? I've never seen him so freaked out. He didn't know his nose was broken until a nurse pointed it out."

"You mean brutal way of showing it," I touch my chin and think about it. He is romantic and sweet when I least expected it. "Something he wouldn't tell you is his fear, other than losing you. It's serpents and insects."

I literally formed the meanest smirk I could. I watched the doorman bring a wooden crate up to living space, "thank you." I told him and quickly opened the crate.

Mara and I threw tarantulas, grasshoppers and cockroaches all over the bed, bathroom and desk. I had a snake around my throat, it was a gentle python. It belongs to Finley. "This is gonna flip him out," I laughed as a few tiny garden snakes slidder around.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? He's really really scared of all this. It think it's a phobia."

"I appreciate the worry, Mara. But a little scare won't kill him."

I hid behind the curtains, I had another snake wrapped around my wrists and a few cockroaches on my dress. I knew Denver was home because Mara's voice echoed upstairs.
The steps came closer to the room and in he came, he was reading something so he didn't notice the crawlies.

Then the the door slammed shut, my plan is working.

He turned to the handle but his eye was locked one a massive tarantula by his feet. I swore he inhaled so hard, he could have sucked everything up his lungs. He didn't dare to move his hand away from the doorknob in fear the insects would just leap on him.

I wanted to laugh but held it together.

"Ivy....Ivy! Come here!" He leaned against the door in panic as snakes slidder by him. "Now!" He yelled.

"Sorry, love, but poison Ivy is not here." I finally said and revealed myself out of the curtains. He took one look at me and I saw the color of his face leave. "You look like you've seen a ghost, my love." I slowly start to walk toward and he doesn't take his eyes off me as he steps backwards.

"Stay back! Or I swear Roselle-"

"You'll what?" I said as I was almost hugging him, he let out the girliest scream I've ever heard.

I pretended to sneeze hard and shook my shoulders making a spider land on his cravat. "No, Roselle please-oh my god! Oh my god, oh my god! Please get it off me." He shreaked looking down at the spider's leg moving. "Can I have a kiss?" I kiss the air near his cheek.

He yelled no then covered his eyes while his other hand kept me away from kissing his face. He's no man deep down. "Please get me out here, Roselle." He gasped and breathed hard.

"You're won't torment me because of your failures?"

The snake around my throat hissed and losened, sticking it's tongue out. Denver was shaking as I wrapped my arm around him, "yes or no?" I said.
"I won't torment you for my failures. Just please get it off me." He finally said and opened his eyes.

I smiled and puckered my lips, "can I have a kiss?"

His eyes dart to the snake around my neck and shook his head. "Then I won't leave."

His lips crashed on mine for a split second then he pulled away, looking ashamed. I've got you now.