Pt. 22

It felt like heaven to wrap my arms around my husband, even if deep inside me, I'm terrified. I have to cherish every moment like this.

"Where did you go? Why would you leave me like that?" The cold breeze hit me as he pulled away but still kept my wrist held. I narrowed my eyes, shifting my sight to his hands. "If I run, will you chase me?" I asked him.

Denver sighed, his breath coming out like smoke, in fact we look like we're smoking after every breath we take. "If you don't want me then I won't make you, run away if you wish. I just want you to know that I love you, and I regret the damage I've done to you."
I don't say anything.

He's lying. There is no way in hell he'll let me get away that easy.

I glare through his soul. I want to know if he's bluffing. His pupils were so small, but steady. And is this the first time Denver says he loves me. My silence was a bad sign to him because his eyeballs watered.

"Roselle, I'm trying to change...I want to change for you. I hate the person I've become! I can change if you help me. Please, give one final chance." Denver clapped his hands together, looking up at me, shiverring by the wind.  "We're going to freeze to death, Roselle. Tell me what you want me to do."

This is difficult, if say yes then I'm agreeing to go back to live in the mansion. If I refuse and he agrees to let me go--I'll technically be divorced. But that would go on my permanent record and I'm just 16.

We interlace our fingers, the tips cold as ice.  "If I come back to you..." Denver lights up in a hint of hope, "you will do as I say, you will not touch me without consent, and will be punished for what you did to me." My fierce tone stabbed him like an arrow.

He hesitated for a moment, but said, "okay, I promise. So, you will come home?"

"I'll come home," I exhale in thought if I made the right desision.

Nothing was more nerve wracking than our carriage ride back inside our property. Denver groaned to himself while he covered his wrists.  "Are you ok?" I go to touch his hand but he yanks it back. "I'm fine," he quickly says.

When we entered the mansion, nothing but silence hits me. Emptiness.  "Where is everyone?"

"They're gone. Only Mara and Ivy are here, the rest of the maids left."

I growled at the pronouncement of her name, the stairs brought me back to the 2 times I fell down.  "It's quiet."
I turned to Denver as he hissed once more,  "what are you hiding?" He shakes his head, rolling up his right sleeve.

"It was an accident, I didn't mean to go that deep.."

I was horrified by the slice on his wrist, it nearly missed the vein. I brought my hand to side of his face and smacked so hard, it sent him flying against the wall. All the adrenaline and anger built up such strength.

Denver covered his nose where a drop of blood trickled down. "What on earth! Made you do such a stupid-stupid thing?" I yelled right on his face that made him move it to the side. I'm done being his little doll.

"Me! Your absence, I couldn't stand sleeping in my own bed knowing it was because me you left. I didn't know if you were dead or in danger...I search everywhere."

"You're crazy, you know that! You're impossible." I press his cheek to my chest, hugging him as I kissed the top of his head. He wrapped his arms around my waist, keeping me locked in place. I'm going insane and I've only been here for 5 minutes.

Both Mara and Ivy ran out the hall and stopped in their tracks.  "Roselle, darling!" She came to give me a hug. For the first time I felt genuinely okay.  "I'm so glad you're fine. Welcome back."