Pt. 21

"I got you," I carefully let myself down and out of the main chimney and slide out the fireplace.  "Is he gone?"  I dust myself off, stealing glares out the window. Pretend to be Santa is the best technique to hide.

I heard everything. It was heartbreaking, Denver cried for me. I could tell in his voice was raspy which meant his throat was sore. I heard how many times he called out for me.

"You're shivering," Max told me.  "He walked passed the fireplace! I thought my world was gonna end." I told him.

It wasn't far from ending. Because Max looked like he saw a ghost,  "forgive me for nearly giving away your hiding spot." He breathed wiped his forhead while stared at him.

"Why would you do that?!"

"I'm telling you with no shame, that Denver scares me. Honest to god he made every hair in my body stand up."

"I know! He's terrifying. But I'm safe for now," I replied, patting him on the shoulder. I need to thank Finley for giving us the heads up for Denver's possible visit. He would have found me if I didn't hide in time.

6 months later

This is not good. I'm having more dreams that involve Maxwell. It's becoming too much.  I'm falling in love with him, and I can't let that happen. He is just everything I wish Denver would be.

Now for the big other problem. The ship won't come here until it had made voyage around the world. It's the first voyayer ship of it's generation. I will lose my mind here.

"Roselle," I heard Maxwell call for me. I run from my room, skipping down the stairs.  "Yes?" I say once in front of him.  He looked so nervous.  "Oh no he knows where I am!" I grip my hair in total panic.

"No no, it's not that. Denver has stopped his search." he stammers.  "I..I-look Roselle, I can't hide my feelings anymore. I couldn't tell you sooner because I know the position you're in. But you don't how hard it is to keep my hands to myself when you're near me." He confesses, his face red as a tomato.

Heck. Darn love to heck. I had to stay silent because I suck at these truly personal thee awkward scenarios. 

"You don't have to speak, just hear me out. Roselle...I love you, I've loved you since the moment we met at the garden. I know you're technically still married but I had to tell you."

I can feel my face getting hotter every second.  "The thing is...you cannot stay here anymore. I'm gonna do something I will regret and the last thing I want is you not speaking to me."

My face dropped,  "Where am I going to go?"

"Finley. She's the only thing you've got other than me. You can come to me if you need anything, but you can't stay. I apologize Roselle, I won't take that risk. Denver has given up, it's safe to leave."

"Wait-" I tell Max but he went up the stairs in a cloud of shame.  I can't believe this, my feelings are so mixed up. Part of me wants him, but the other still craves Denver.

Max is so sweet and kind, while Denver is protective surprisingly soft hearted at times. All I can do is cuss as I packed my things.

I can't blame Max at all. I'd be lying if didn't admit I've kept my hands to myself too.

"Finley! Open up." I knock but decided to break in.  "Are you serious, Ro?" She ran to me and we hugged,  "you saved my life." I told her.  She nods and wipes her brow.  "He was on to something. We need to chat now like right now and it has everything to do do with Denver."

My head shakes in dispair that this will not be good news.  "The banks are failing. At rapid rate." She quickly sits, showing me in a paper the progress of economic growth going down.  "And what does that have to do with my husband?" I ask.

Her goes wide,  "what does your hubby do for a living, Roselle?! What's his business." She hits my head and I think. I really don't know what he does.  "Oh he runs the Bank Of Britain! See I know."

"Indeed he does. He owns all Banks Of Britain in the UK alone, he's like the british Alexander Hamilton."

"Ok tell me the problem is."

"Denver isn't running his daily tasks, he hasn't left the mansion, and is not making headlines in the banks. Economy is going down because of his absence."

I slam my face in my hands. This is not good news. Denver never misses his rotations in the line of work.  "Is nobody checking on him?" I tell Finley  while I read the newspapers. Dang, the money is really burning without the guidance of my husband. I never knew he had such a responsibility.

"His doorman forbids entry."

"I can't run to his aid. I'm trying to avoid him. He'll kill me if he saw me."

"Please, Ro, Denver has done nothing but sit on the sidewalks by himself." She laughs but then pouts.  "It kinda sucks to see him like that." She adds.

My mind is arguing on whether I should tell Finley about Maxwell's confession. I shouldn't say anything to worsen the problem. I've told my best friend everything since day one.  I decided to keep this between me and Max. 

For a quite sometime I explained that I was ready move out and live with her. Because I was invading Maxwell's life.

I was walking along the road by myself, my arms folded over my chest. There's like a little gadering on the streets wuth people celebrating an event. I saw they are giving out drinks so I got one then stood around to watch them have a good time.

Wasn't the economy bad? How are these people celebrating by giving out goods like that. As I watched them have a good time sharing their moments, my drifted off to the good times with Denver. When we had fun in each other's presences and not fear that he'll smack the soul out of me.

"Ma'am? Would you like a blanket?" A man drapes the blanked around me before I could respond.  "Thank you, good sir. What is this celebration about?" I sigh to the warmth of the fabric.  He smiles and looks at the happy crowd.  "Banks are back in the works. Everything is going back to normal."

My jaw clenches.  That means Denver is back on his feet. I felt relieved at the news. I thanked the man then carried myself to walk back to Finley's place.

It was very windy, so it was hard to walk.  Squeezing myself between two houses, I waited for the weather to calm.  Suddenly I got the worst feeling in the pit of my stomach.  Something changed in the atmosphere around me.  "Oh no," I walk out from my safe stop, turning my head from where I had come from.

My hand glues to my chest as I felt my heart skip a beat. Denver only gasped and I saw his eyes go huge when he saw me. From where he was standing, it looked like he was on his journey to the celebration in town.

"No! No!" I sprint to the direction of the people, my arms flailing everywhere out of panic. The snow shot to the sides as he kicked it without missing a step.  "Noooo!!!" I scream. Denver grabbed me by the wrist, immediately I close my fist to fight him.

But it was cut off when he trapped me in his hard chest, his head buried in my neck. By that time I had only realize we were kneeling on the cold ground while hugging.  Denver is shivering but I question if is because he found me or because of the weather. 

"I thought you were gone. I missed you so much you can't imagine, Roselle." He said against my skin, not losing his tight grip around me. To be honest, it felt nice to be hugged by him, I've always loved how he hugs me.

Though, I don't know what to expect when he lets go of me.