The Weirdest Night

Tae

I wasn't sure what woke me up in the middle of the night. For a few seconds, I was disoriented. Then I heard my phone vibrating on the bedside table. I unhooked it from the charger and checked the screen. It was Janean. I frowned. Why would she call me at this hour?

Throwing aside the covers I got up from the bed.

"Hello?" I answered quietly walking out of my bedroom. I don't like waking Ji up and disturbing her sleep. She's a working woman.

"Tae,"

I heard Janean's sleepy voice. She must have been asleep too but I can detect a hint of worry in her tone.

"What is it?" I pressed the phone to my ear.

"It's Tee,"

My stomach turned cold at her words.

"I just got a call from him. He sounded distressed."

I tightened my fingers around the phone.

"But the call got disconnected and now I can't reach him."

"Do you think he's home?" I asked quickly reaching for my keys and wallet.

"Where else would he be at this time of the night?"

"I'll drive there right now Janean." I picked a pant from the laundry room, holding the phone between my shoulder and ear. It's freshly washed yet not pressed but I can't really go out wearing only my loose boxers. "Don't worry, I'm sure it's nothing." I picked a denim jacket and pulled it over my old white t-shirt.

"Thank you, Tae."

"I'll call you when I get there." I slipped on a pair of sneakers ending the call.

"Shit!" I cursed turning around from the front door. I need to leave a note for Ji. I wouldn't want to worry her if she wakes up and find me missing.

A little emergency.

I stepped out for a bit.

Be back asap.

I pasted the sticky note on her coffee mug. The first thing she reaches in the mornings.

I'm driving through the familiar route to reach Tee's house

I'm driving through the familiar route to reach Tee's house. Could he be sick? Hurt? There's worry niggling in my mind. I can't really explain it. And I feel a little disappointed that Tee didn't call me directly like he always does. Why did he call Janean? I shook that thought off my mind.

Since that day Tee and I had the heart to heart talk I didn't see anything different in Tee's behavior. We were really good. Tee didn't change. We played our parts really well. Things were going really good. As a matter of fact, it had been going too well.

I reached Tee's apartment building. Parking my car at the out front, I slowly got out. The lights are off. The corridor that led to his apartment is pitched black. I switched on the backlit of my phone. Nothing but silence greeted me so far. I bet Tee is already sleeping. Janean must be worrying for nothing. I waited at his front door, debating whether to ring the bell. But I don't want to wake him if he's already sleeping. Stepping around the front of his apartment I walked to the side that led to his back patio. I peeked through the glass window.