Time to Tell the Kids

From Dean's POV:

John and Hannah were seven years old now, in second grade. We enrolled them in the elementary school in Lebanon. Making friends was easy for both kids, and their capacity for learning was off the charts.

"Do you really think we ought to tell them? Right now, at this age?" Maggie asked. "I don't know if we should, Dean."

"Maggie, I was four years old when I found out that what goes 'bump in the night' is actually real," I reminded her.

"I know, Dean, and do you remember what kind of childhood you had, because of what you learned at four years old? Practically non-existent, from what you've told me. I'd like for them to hold on to their innocence for a little while longer, if at all possible," she argued.

"Look, sweetheart, they both know how to read. It's only going to be a matter of time before one or both of them goes strolling through the library, sees one of those books and starts asking questions. We need to be prepared, and get out in front of it, if we can," I explained.

Maggie sighed deeply. "I suppose you're right. Let's let Sam know and the three of us together can talk to the kids after dinner tonight. I think we need all the help we can get, if we're going to do this. Maybe he can help us figure out a way for us to break the news gently to the kids," she suggested.

From Maggie's POV:

After dinner was finished and the dishes put in the sink, we turned to the kids. "John? Hannah? Your father and I and Uncle Sam have something kind of important we need to talk about with you," I started.

Their eyes were intently on me as I spoke. "You've heard stories about monsters, like ghosts, vampires and werewolves, right?" They both nodded their heads. "Well....they're actually....real. It used to be that the three of us would go out and hunt these and other monsters, while saving peoples' lives in the process. Now it's just your dad and Uncle Sam," I finished.

John was the first one to speak. "I already know about that stuff, Mom," he said quietly.

My eyes widened in surprise. "How did you find out, John?" I asked.

"You sent me to your room one time to get something, and I saw the old leather journal on Dad's nightstand," John confessed. "I looked at the pictures, the notes, everything. I'm sorry, Mom, for doing that. I shouldn't have been going through your stuff, but it was really interesting."

Hannah piped up and said, "Yeah, Mom, John showed it to me one time, and it looked pretty cool. So, you, Dad and Uncle Sam really used to do that, go hunting for monsters? When do we get to go on hunts with you guys?" she asked excitedly.

I groaned and put my head in my hands. "Not for a long while, sweetie. Not for what Mommy hopes is a very long time." Both children's faces fell in disappointment. I shot a dirty look towards Sam and Dean, who managed to look both pleased and shocked at the same time.

"Mom's right, you two," Dean added. "Hunting is dangerous work, and we've gotten hurt doing it. We almost lost your mom once, a long while back." I moved to stand beside Dean, my arms crossed at my middle. I eventually let him pull me close to his side, and he put his arm around my waist. 

"Maybe for starters, you could help Mom with the researching part. That's just as important as the actual field work. We don't always know what kind of monster we're up against, and one of you could find the one clue that helps us solve the case." Dean turned to me and asked, "How does that sound to you, sweetheart?"

I thought about it for a few minutes. "I think that would be a good place to start. Maybe between hunts, you and Sam could teach them some basic self-defense moves?" Both kids' eyes lit up at that idea.