A New Case

From Maggie's POV:

I was strolling through the library when I overheard Dean on the phone. "How many hikers missing in how many days?" I heard him ask. "Claw marks on the ground and the trees? Yeah, I think I know what we're dealing with. Okay, Jody, we're on our way. No, just Sam and me this time." A pause. "I will, Jody. Right, see you soon. Bye."

He turned and saw me standing there, a grim set to his mouth. "Hey, baby. Sorry didn't see you there," he said, his expression softening.

"I was passing by when I heard you on the phone. I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but I take it you and Sam have a case?" I asked.

"Yeah, couple of hiking groups went missing. Tents torn to shreds, blood at their campsites, claw marks, you know," he replied.

"So, you're thinking Wendigo or werewolf, right?" I asked.

"Yup. Gotta pack the flare guns and other incendiary devices just in case. I'm so sorry to have to leave you like this, sweetheart, but....it's Claire. She went out to try and rescue the hikers, and Jody hasn't heard from her in awhile."

I gasped. "No, of course you have to go, it's Claire and Jody. Andrea and I will hold down the fort, while you do what you do best," I assured him.

He came over and put his arms around me, resting his chin on top of my head. "It won't be easy on Andrea, you know. It'll be her first hunt since she and Sam have been together. And the kids may have a tough time too with me and Sam leaving. Especially after what happened with you and Kieran."

Dean pulled back to look in my eyes, sighing deeply. "And, I'm worried about you, my love. Taking on so much for so many. I know my leaving affects you too, and you need to take care of yourself." He stroked my cheek with the back of his hand. "Promise me that if it gets to be too much, that you'll call someone to come help you? Ruthie, Charlie, Donna, Cas--someone to help you through it? Heaven knows, you're a strong woman, Mags, but even you have your limits. Will you promise me this? Please?" he asked in earnest.

I put one hand on the side of his face. I knew that he couldn't do his job effectively if he was worried about me back at home. With so much at stake this time, he needed to have full focus on the mission at hand. "I promise, Dean. Try not to worry about us back home, just rescue Claire and the others. Be careful, and come home to me as soon as you can." I asked, choking back a sob as I pulled him closer to me.

When Dean released me, he saw the silent tears coursing down my cheeks and brushed them away with his thumbs. "You are an incredible woman, Maggie. Sam and I will come home as soon as we can. I love you," whispered Dean.

"And I love you, Dean," I whispered back. Then Dean went off to find Sam and let him know about the upcoming hunt, while I needed to break the news to John and Hannah.

From Sam's POV:

I was in my room, packing my go-bag with a few changes of clothes when I looked up and saw Andrea standing in the doorway.

"Found a case?" she asked.

"Yeah, it's near Sioux Falls, South Dakota. A friend of ours, Jody Mills? She's the sheriff up there, and her daughter Claire is also a hunter. Claire heard about some missing hikers, so she went up to investigate. Jody's worried because she hasn't heard from Claire in a while, and she knows to check in with Jody, or else. I'm sorry to have to leave you like this, Andrea. I promise I will make it up to you," I finished.

"Don't worry about that, Sam. Focus on rescuing those hikers and your friend's daughter from that monster out there. Maggie and I have each other here, and the kids will keep us busy," she said with a half-smile.