Chapter Seventeen

Now that the day has come, Romeo felt more nervous about playing in church then he thought he would be. Even though he wasn't used to playing to big crowds, he usually wasn't the anxious type, and he had played in front of other people, including a few strangers, before.

However, this time it was different. It was the first time he would play in a long time, and Savannah would sing while he did so. It was a great honor for him, and he couldn't be more glad it was happening, but it still made him nervous. He just hoped he didn't screw up somehow and embarrass Savannah in front of the whole town, even though the song was quite simple and he had played way harder songs before.

"Are you ready?" Savannah's sweet chirping voice woke Romeo up from his thoughts. He looked at her and instantly smiled. She looked even more beautiful that day, almost angelic. She was wearing a sleeveless lace white dress, and her long red hair was tied in a side braid. As usual, she didn't have any makeup on, and she didn't need it. Romeo wondered if Savannah even owned any or know how to use it; probably not.

The blonde nodded. He was wearing his best jeans and a white shirt. The stupid acknowledge that they were kind of matching made him smile a little wider.

"Come on, kiddos, let's go." Jacob showed up and walked outside. "You two ready? I'm so curious to see how this song of yours worked out." He commented. Savannah usually played her songs on the guitar, so a piano was something completely new for everyone.

Savannah grinned and nodded as they all left the house and got in the truck. "And I'm looking forward to sing it! I hope everyone likes it." She admitted, putting on her seatbelt.

Jacob gave her an assuring smile. "Of course we will, dear, we always do." He responded as he started the truck. "What about you, Romeo? I had no idea you played the piano." He admitted.

Romeo smiled and nodded. Of course his father told him all his flaws and mistakes, but hid the fact he had a passion for the piano. He'd rather forget it, just like he wanted to forget his wife. "Yes, I do. I started playing when I was very young."

"That's delightful. I may be your stereotypical country man, and I adore the acoustic guitar, but I do love the sound of a piano. So I'm looking forward to see how this pairing of the two of you will work out." Jacob told them, smiling at Romeo through the rearview mirror.

Romeo smiled back, and so did Savannah. Did they really have to hide the fact they were dating? Jacob seemed to like Romeo, at least he thought he did, and he liked seeing the two of them getting along well. Of course, they had started dating quite recently, and most people only presented their girlfriends or boyfriends to their parents after a few months (some even more). However, the fact they were all living under the same roof made that a lot harder, and it felt like lying, which Jacob didn't deserve at all. However, he was Savannah's father, not his, and she knew him better than he did. He just wanted her to feel happy and comfortable, and if taking a little longer to tell her father was what she wanted, he would give her that. He just hoped Jacob wouldn't find about the two of them dating any other way. It would be better if it was them telling him and not someone else or getting caught red handed.

***

Father Charles made a quite interesting speech as usual. Romeo never thought he'd ever find himself enjoying going to church, but here things weren't like he remembered in the city. The speeches were relatable and inspiring, and father Charles preached in a very captivating way. The church, despite small and simple, was cozy, and people didn't look sad or in regret, they were all happy and grateful. It was a very warm environment, and Romeo liked it. It made him feel at home.

Eventually the time for them to play the song arrived.

"This week Savannah brought us something a little different. And she won't be the only one on stage. Romeo, the newcomer, will play the piano for her. I'm sure it will be a very beautiful moment." The priest said with his usual warm smile.