Chapter Twelve

The next few days were horrible. Savannah had been mad at Romeo enough times for him to get used to it, but this time it was even worse. She barely spoke with him, and would leave as soon as the work was done to look after the other Romeo.

Romeo didn't honestly understand why she was making such a big deal out of it. Of course, it sucked that he slept with her worst enemy, and maybe Jessica really was a bad person, but how was he supposed to know? He slept with her on his first day at the farm, he didn't know anyone, he didn't even get to learn her name. It was just sex. Why did Savannah have to turn it into such a mess? Of course he wouldn't have done it if it was now that he was friends with Savannah and knew how much Jessica had hurt her. And she had nothing to do with the fact he had casual sex. That was none of her business. Who did she think she was to judge him just because he wasn't 'waiting for the one'? It's the twenty first century, sex isn't as much of a big deal as it used to be. It's just something you do for pleasure.

She didn't have the right to act like this. This time, Romeo had made his mind: he wouldn't apologize and beg for her to forgive him like he did the last few times. He was sick of it. It was as if she enjoyed being mad at him, as if she enjoyed the horrible ambient between the two of them. Romeo surely didn't, but he was tired of being the one to take the first step into fixing things up. It wasn't even his fault anyway; it never had been. It was always Savannah who got mad at the smallest things, but he always ended up apologizing because life at the farm was extremely boring without her company and good spirit. However, Romeo did have a pride, and he felt like it was enough. This time she had to be the one to let it go. He was sick and tired of this love-hate relationship.

The worst part was, he didn't even have his cigarettes anymore. Savannah had taken and probably destroyed them. He should have hid a few for emergencies before giving them to her, but he was so happy she decided to 'forgive him' about the kiss – another argument that made no sense – he didn't even think about it. He thought he would never need his cigarettes again. Of course that would never happen. Things would always get ruined for him, and he would always need his cigarettes to forget about that.

That day in town had been so good, why did it have to end like that? Why did they have to bump into Jessica, and why did she have to speak to him? He played the piano, something he hadn't done in quite a long, shared a fun moment with Savannah, hung out with her and her friend... He was finally getting closer to Savannah, closer to learning what there was to learn about her. Then, Jessica showed up and ruined everything. There always had to be something to ruin everything for Romeo. He should be used to it right now.

When he heard Savannah talking about Jessica, he had no idea she was the girl he had slept with. It was when they saw her after church he realized he was in big trouble. Sure, he could have told Savannah right away, after all he knew very well the truth always comes out. However, he wanted to avoid drama as much as possible. For this reason, he tried to ignore and forget what had happened, hoping he would never cross paths with Jessica again, but fate decided to pull a trick on him.

The mood between the two of them was so bad even Jacob started feeling uneasy about it. He didn't know what was going on between the two of them, but Romeo wasn't supposed to be wandering around the farm with nothing to do. That was not what his father was paying for. For that reason, he decided to make a suggestion the next Friday that surprised both teenagers.

"Savannah, you should take Romeo with you to the party tonight." He said as they were having dinner.

Romeo raised his head. He didn't even know there was a party, and that Savannah was going.

Savannah stopped eating and raised her head, staring at her father with an unexpressive look. "Do you seriously think that's a good idea?" She said.