Chapter Twenty-One

It was a sunny hot Wednesday and Romeo was taking a nap by the front porch, Boy laying its head on his lap. He was waiting for Savannah to finish her obligations with the other Romeo, but with the warm sun, comfortable bench, Boy's company and singing birds, the blonde couldn't help but fall in a superficial and easy to wake up from sleep.

Everything in the farm was peaceful and calm, he never thought he would end up loving it there, being used to the noisy and crowded city. Which only made the fact he'd be leaving in a week even more hurtful. He knew Savannah felt the same. She tried to hide it, but she had grown more distant in the past few days. He'd find her staring absent-mindedly at nowhere many times, sometimes he'd have to call her two or three times for her to hear him.

The peaceful silence of nature, only interrupted by the birds chirping and an occasional rustle of the trees' leaves, was broken by two voices arguing, waking Romeo up, disorientated and startled.

"No! How many times do I have to tell you, he's not ready yet!" Romeo recognized that voice has Savannah's. She sounded pissed but also a little scared.

"Does he let you ride him?" A rough male voice asked her. Romeo didn't hear a reply so he assumed she helplessly nodded. "He's ready enough then. Whoever buys him will do the rest." Romeo now knew they were talking about the black stallion, and assumed the man Savannah was talking with was Michael's father. "Savannah, you know I love you and the work you do, but if I don't sell that horse today I'll have to wait until the next auction, which is next season. I can't lose good money like that! You told me you'd get him ready for today, and you always keep your word."

Romeo narrowed his eyebrows and stood up, following the sound of their voices. Today? Romeo would be sold today? Savannah was right, with the whole running away thing weeks ago, the stallion was far from ready yet. It was dangerous to sell a horse like that to someone, what if they didn't have the experience Savannah had? It was obvious Michael's father only cared about the money and saw Romeo like a way to make profit, not a living being.

"I know, sir, but we've had some issues... This horse is nothing like the others I tamed, if I knew that when I saw him I would have told you I needed more time." Savannah excused herself. Romeo knew how bad she must be feeling with that man putting her word in the line.

"I understand, Savannah, just like you must understand I don't have any other choice. The horse is coming with me now." It seemed that man wouldn't change his mind any time soon. "Where's your father?"

The redhead sighed and nodded, defeated. It wasn't her horse, so there was nothing she could do but accept it. "Alright. Do you mind if I tag along? I'm the only one who has ridden him." She explained, figuring her presence would feel the horse safer – even though he wouldn't be.

"Of course. If people see a skinny girl like you riding it, they will assume they can ride it as well. Great thinking, Savannah." He laughed and patted the girl's shoulder. "Now where's your father?"

Savannah sighed, since Michael's father obviously missed the point of her joining them, but nodded. "I'll get him."

She looked pissed when she turned around and walked to the house to get her father. When she saw Romeo, however, her expression softened to pure sadness. She hated what was going on, and she despised even more the fact there was nothing she could do to help the horse. She felt she had the obligation to help the stallion, like it was the least she could do, and was starting to regret not letting him escape when he had the chance.

The two teenagers exchanged worried and helpless looks and Savannah walked inside. A few minutes later she was outside with her father, who greeted Michael's father with a smile and a handshake.