Chapter 3: Are Those Firecrackers or Gun Shots?

A/N: Since this story takes place over a decade ago, you'll notice the talking style is a little different and a lot of these bitches ain't politically correct. Don't be all shocked and shit when they say offensive words and act dumb, get me? And as an afro-latina who grew up mostly in the hood, I got a lot of stories to apply to this fic so authenticity ethnic/culture/environmental wise will play a huge role.

Lauren and Luca visual for the next two and a half chapters:

***

May 16th, 2006
Friday, 2:58pm - Grapeland Heights, Miami

"Lauren, lo juro por Dios, if you hurt Shawn I won't talk to you anymore. You won't see me. Put the gun down and let him go!" (I swear to God)

"I don't like him."

"Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you have to shoot them. Please. Put the gun down."

"He'll talk. He'll pick his scrawny ass up and run his pussy ass back to your brother and tell him everything. If I don't kill him, Luca will kill you."

"I'm not a snitch! I promise I would never do anything to harm Cand—"

"Shut. The fuck. Up! Callaté, coño!"

"Lauren, por favor, basta. Ya. Basta. We'll talk this out by ourselves but leave Shawn out of it. I like him. He's a good person, he wouldn't tell Luca."

"It's true! I won't!"

"You won't?"

"No!!"

"That's right, you won't. Because if you do, te prometo, you will suffer for weeks and you'll wish you kept your mouth shut. I will know if Karla is hurt and you'll be the first I look for. I'm watching you, Shawn. Don't think you're slick."

"Thank you, La—"

"You hurt my feelings. And you know what, Karla, that's fine. Maybe I deserve it. Quién sabe? But if you didn't really like me like that and saw it as 'slumming', tell that to me and not to this pinche maricon."

"Lo siento."

"No me importa, mami. Do you, I'll do me."

Camila sat with Dinah on Aleesia's bed, lost in deep thought with her chin in her hand and elbow resting on her crossed knee. It's been a week and three days since she saw Lauren and it was torturing not hearing from the gang leader, or getting rose shaped lollipops in her locker with little notes that had Lauren's love poems on it. To be completely honest, seeing the softer side of Lauren was her favourite and she loved it perhaps a little too much. She liked the bad but didn't really prefer it. And she still wanted to piss off and rebel against her brother, but she was too content with how things with Shawn were going that she didn't feel like disrupting that kind of peace. Maybe this distance between her and Lauren was a good thing; Lauren caught feelings way too quick too much and Camila wasn't totally ready to take that all on.