Chapter 23: Butterfly Effect

Jesús "Chino" Morales:

***

August 16th, 2006
Thursday, 11:10pm - Grapeland Heights, Miami, Flordia

'You won't listen to your girlfriends hating. You'll listen to me, girl, first, please (promise me). You'll hold down my back, girl handle that. And if you need a stack, I'll give you that (promise me). Once I know you got love for me,
You gon' get some things that these chicks won't see (no). If you true, boo, show it. Saying you going nowhere. 'Cause some chicks be phony, that's why I'm asking...'

Studying anatomy and physiology from the many books Aleesia borrowed from the public library was the only thing she's gotten done since waking up at six in the morning. Five hours have passed and she was now taking care of her hygiene and unwinding from the stress of research and note taking. The cassette Lauren gave to her played semi-loudly in the boombox on her dresser, the same track on repeat. Aleesia was paranoid that her parents were tired and ready to get on her case for replaying the track all day, everyday, as she never gave it a break. But who could blame her? The song and the fact that Lauren dedicated it to her was sweet. It was everything.

She sang as she showered, danced sensually with her hands and hips, did her hair all nice into a stylish bun, then spoiled herself by dressing in an expensive black long sleeve crop top that Lauren gave her the money for, including the cashmere cheetah print skirt. Aleesia would look in the mirror and pose, analysing every inch of her body and facial features, practicing looking and behaving in a way that'd enhance her sex appeal. It wasn't like she had anyone to impress on the streets, but she was going out and she wasn't about to embarrass Lauren by dressing like a bum and making everybody think Lauren was fucking with someone basic who let themself go.

"I've been with plenty girls. Uh-huh.
They be actin' thirsty. Uh-huh. Seen me on the stage, the jewels, the V. They don't really care about me. And then I met you, girl. Just like I dreamed you would be, girl. You are my lover, my homie, girl. I mean, honestly, can you promise me?" she bobbed her head, twirling around her room and spraying on some perfume while smiling as she sang the lyrics to Ryan Toby's cover of Promise Me.

"Aleesia!" her mom knocked urgently on the door. "Turn off the music y ven a comer a la mesa!" (and come eat at the table!)

"Voy!" she shouted back, rolling her eyes, turning off the radio though still humming the song. (Coming!)

Her father was already at work while her mom had the day off, slept in, then woke up really late to make scrambled eggs and beans to put in the tortillas heating up on the stovetop. That and a cold glass of orange juice was typically her breakfast everyday unless she could afford to buy bagels or eat something different when their food stamps came in on the third of every month. As soon as she was finished eating, Aleesia would be gone to either hang around South Beach, Overtown, or West Kendall where the Los Carnales hideout was. A shipment of all kinds of guns were scheduled to arrive at any point today, and some of the crew were required to pick it up but whether she'd be a part of that crew was still unknown. Perhaps she'd slack off some more and play handball at Flamingo Park all day again. At the end of the day, it was up to her since she was now taking control of Los Carnales for the time being.