Chapter 26: Power

A/N: There will be all kinds of flashbacks continuing on as well as time jumps - some small, some big as I wanna progress the story just a little faster. This chapter is *sort of* a filler but not really. I'm still setting things up. Full disclosure, I'm not purposely sabotaging Candy's character or anything in case anyone was wondering. Trust in the process, sweet redemption does exist.

Hope you enjoy. 👋

***

August 24th, 2006
Friday, 7:00pm - Grapeland Heights, Miami, Florida

'I got a question for ya. See I already know the answer but still I wanna ask you. Would you lie? (no) Make me cry? (no) Do somethin' behind my back and then try to cover it up? Well, neither would I, baby. My love is only your love. (yes) I'll be faithful. (yes) I'm for real. (yes) And with us you'll always know the deal.'

Emiliano stopped dead in his tracks, heard the loud music bouncing off the walls in Aleesia's room from where he stood, and just laughed to himself. Someone was deep in their feelings tonight. He hiked up the mini hill the small house was perched on (just like the many others on this block) in a slow manner, keeping his fists jammed in the pockets of his black stonewashed jeans. The boy whipped his head, flipping his blown out hair away from his eyes although the wind kept fucking up the style. He approached Aleesia's window and used it as a mirror before peeking inside her room.

The girl was currently moving around the room, singing her heart out as she hung up printed photos on her wall; dressed down in dark red Baby Phat sweats and a black spaghetti strapped blouse tied in the back to make a crop top. She kept pointing to the air, pretending that someone was there listening to her vent with a song. The way Aleesia moved her hips was sinful and hypnotic, the anger and hurt on her face was just as captivating. She hadn't even noticed Emiliano watching her. He tore his eyes off her figure, though, and noticed the stack of textbooks and open composition notebooks full of notes. So that's what she's been doing all day. At least she was being productive instead of just moping around.

"Too strong for too long, and I can't be without you baby. And I'll be waiting up until you get home 'cause I can't sleep without you baby! Anybody who's ever loved ya know just what I feel. Too hard to fake it, nothing can replace it. Call the radio if you just can't beee without your baby! Heyy, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYyYy—

Emiliano delivered a couple of harsh knocks against the window pane, startling Aleesia who appeared mortified at the sight of a man watching her through her window. That's what she gets for leaving the curtains open this time. Once she realised it was Emiliano, her hand flew to her chest and she huffed in relief. After she turned the music down, she opened up her window and put on a genuine smile that reached her cat-like eyes.

"What's happening, mama?" he greeted, beaming as he leaned in for a polite cheek-to-cheek kiss.

"Nothing. Come in," she stepped aside to give him space to climb inside her cozy decorated room. As Emiliano sat down on her bed, furrowing his eyebrows at the muted TV playing The Game, Aleesia sat down in front of her vanity mirror to look a little less bummish. "What's up, Suave?"

"Nothing, I just dropped by to come pick you up so this night could be something," he replied as cool as ice while searching for the TV remote.

"But we already hung out two nights ago."

"Okay, but, right, that was two nights ago. Plus, your brother interrupted it. Don't you just wanna get out of the house and have fun for real? It's Friday, there's a lot of things we could do."

"I'm not in the mood. I'd rather stay home," she took a hairbrush and brushed all of her black hair back into a neat ponytail, skillfully tying it with the band on her wrist.