Chapter 43: Can't Hide The Truth Forever

A/N: I'mma need y'all to really pay attention to every Laureesia scene and Candy scene in this entire story because there's a big metaphor that's just completely going over your heads. Think about what Aleesia represents/means to Lauren and what Candy represents/means to Lauren and I PROMISE YOU the constant battle between the two + the story will make sense.

Jonathan Bernardeau:

***

January 14th, 2008
Monday, 3:16pm - Kendall, Miami

Lauren sauntered back to the folding chairs away from the Ferraris currently being worked on and tossed Jesús a fresh cold bottle of Modelo, complimenting his ability to catch as she dropped onto the seat next to his. She let out a deep sigh and snapped open the beer with her teeth, spat out the top then chugged a good amount of the cool liquid for relief of the humidity and heat the Miami sun tortured them with. She dabbed the white towel she had on her shoulder around her neck and forehead, squinting as she surveyed life outside the auto shop, completely oblivious to Jesús's offended prolonged stare.

"Qué pedo? No salud?" he confronted, his beer yet to be opened. (What's your problem?)

"Huh?" Lauren glanced at his bottle, noticed hers and what she just did, then rolled her eyes at her poor memory. It was customary for Jesús to clink bottles before drinking and Lauren just threw that right out the window. "Shit. My bad, socio," she chuckled sheepishly and went to raise her bottle to his but he brushed her off.

"Nah, it's too late for that," he grumbled, snapping it open with the bottle opener.

Lauren sucked her teeth and shook her head, "You're such a little girl."

"A little girl that can kick your ass."

"You ain't kicking nobody's ass, shut up," Lauren smirked. She wagged her knee side to side, holding the wet glass to her forehead to cool down with closed eyes. "The streets are too quiet on my side. What's up with that? What's going on with La Fuerza?"

"Nothing. Normani switched up the protocols, changed the shipment locations, set up traps to contradict everything Emiliano knew about the moves we make—everything. They don't got shit on us and they're scared of us now. That's why it's so quiet," said Jesús. He kept checking over his shoulder for any progress on the cars, disguising the fact that he was paranoid about them accidentally blowing up in the shop.

"Good. That's what I like to hear."

"Speaking of things we like to hear," Jesús pushed up his shades to rest on his shaved head so he could look Lauren in the eyes, "I hear you bought my sister a lot of diamonds. That's good, she deserves some ice for herself. Just like a queen."

"Couldn't agree more," Lauren raised her bottle.

"So what about a diamond ring?"

She whipped her head around and furrowed her eyebrows, confused by his question. "What about it?"