Chapter 32: Feels Good To Be Back

A/N: A lot has happened and changed. Any questions you have will be answered in the upcoming chapters but feel free to ask now (after reading this chapter) and I might answer them...because you're gonna have a lot.

Two songs to play again, I recommend you listen for the full experience. And there is gonna be smut (a warning for strictly Camren shippers) so skip to the end of it if you don't fw it.

Jaquan Irvine (Smokey):

Lola de Los Santos (Cherry):

***

November 24th, 2007
Saturday, 11:33am - Broward County Prison, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

To this day, the events that took place during and after the riot remained prevalent in Lauren's mind. She could still taste the metallic taste of blood, smell the pungent scent of it oozing out of dead bodies, hear the sound her sneakers made when she accidentally stepped into a puddle of mixed bodily fluids. If Lauren tried hard enough, she could even feel the blows and cuts she's taken from both Lorena and Candy—the swelling bruises and the fracture of her ribs and knuckles she wasn't even aware of until getting checked out in the infirmary. The infirmary was the biggest part of the riot she could never forget aside from discovering Sugar's limp body in a pool of blood. The last time Lauren ever saw Sugar, her eyes were closed, she was banged up pretty bad, and she was no longer in touch with the world around her.

Lauren couldn't grow used to that ever: the uncertainty of someone you love and greatly respect surviving or not.

Thankfully, she did survive being stabbed five or six times. The road to recovery was a long one and consisted of endless days stuck in that God forsaken prison hospital bed, watching the news report nothing uplifting twenty-four seven, consuming only fluids and eventually graduating to pudding or jello—at least that's what Sugar told Lauren over the phone the day she got released from six months in solitary and sent to General Population. They still kept in touch every single day except for the times Lauren got a "cellphone check" from one of the most malicious inmates there she was strongly advised not to cross. South Bay was paradise in comparison to Broward County...but Lauren preferred not to talk about the horrible things that she's experienced there.