Dinner Crew

Dinner in the main dining room now requires shifts. There is no way to get everyone in there at once. We chose to skip the main dining room altogether, once we put in an appearance in the main hall to make everyone feel welcome, and then we went to the upstairs kitchen and Morgan and I cooked for our friends and family.

It is a big group. Rachel, Luciana, Denise, Anne, Carol, Angel, Vera, Morgan, Jessica, Diana (peeled from Fiona), and myself. Cooking for eleven is something Morgan and I have done before though. In Austin, we have Danny, Lori, Mom, and Dad at the table every day and Angel and Nakoma most days, in addition to the four of us.

I smiled at that thought: It has been the four of us for several years now.

I am glad Nakoma, Danny, Lori, Mom, and Dad are not here for this, but I also wish they were.

Fiona checked in to make sure Morgan and I had all the ingredients we needed for eleven (and to smooch with Diana, because of course there no way she is getting enough attention). We were keeping is simple, so mostly we needed eggs, cheese, and spices. French bread was available from the main kitchen, as were fruit, yogurt, sour cream, and the like.

Vera said to Angel "I have never watched those two cook together before. It's like they are an old married couple already. They know each others moves. Shit: He only ever cooked for two of us though. This is very different." Vera looked around at the people. "So different." She added.

"I like to think of them cooking together as a dance. They spin around each other, and I keep waiting for one of them to do a body lift or something." Angel told Vera.

"I can see that." Denise commented.

"She'll pick him up though." Jessica contributed.

"I can see that too." Carol added.

Morgan and I ignored the peanut gallery and cooked on. I may have thrown in an extra spin or two around Morgan after that, to a secret smile from Morgan. That was the point anyway. Getting my ever so serious Morgan to smile is a win.

After dinner (which was breakfast foods but we always eat breakfast for dinner anyway) we brought out the beer and wine and sat around and chatted about the trip and plans.

Morgan told our Crew friends they are in the phase one plan.

"Sounds good." Anne agreed after Morgan laid out her general thinking.

"Sirens in a Siren hall. I think I have seen this movie." Carol commented.

"It will be different this time." Morgan replied. "We never went in with a direct line to the women before. How female Sirens influence events inside Siren Hall's is never overt, so we are not sure how this might play out. We never walked in bold as brass and challenged Sirens before. They have always challenged us, or in William's case, set the stage. We are also in a different Hall, a different country, and dealing with a new group of Sirens. They may not behave like the ones we know well in 'The Firehouse' do. There are a large number of unknowns and variables here. Why we want you all backing our play because you know us and we know you. We have worked together before and we know each others moves. If this situation should go sideways, we are going to need all the improvisational help we can get. This is not Adrian and Rachel facing William, or Rachel and Adrian pounding a group of Sirens for fun."

"I will have you know, Morgan that at no point was that EVER fun." Rachel said.

"Especially not the William breaking her neck one." Helen added.

After a few rounds of drinks, Morgan and I put Diana to bed and Jessica and Helen cleaned the dishes (we cooked, they cleaned.)

Upon our return from our little angel, I said to the room as a whole: "Everyone has their sleeping assignments. Angel and Vera, you have air mattresses in our suite. Sorry. However, since we are kicking off planning in the morning, I am headed to the shower and bed. Big shower or little one in the other suite; your choice. Or decide the pool was good enough and hit the rack now. Or go read in the library if you are still on USA time. Or have more wine. Whatever your heart desires and your body requires."