Chapter Twenty-One

Only in one's imagination can a fish survive in soda pop. This is one of those universal truths. No scientist really needs to study this; they know this based on all these truths. They know that living creatures generally need to breathe oxygen, not carbonated sugar. Science doesn't need to waste its time on such stupidity. Scientists know that flamingos can't ride bicycles through active volcanoes (and live), elephants can't skydive (and live), and cobras can't do taxes (without an audit). No experiment needed. In fact, no experiment encouraged.

Yet in one's imagination, things are very different. The imagination is a world of wonders, of scientific impossibilities, and cobra accountants.

Deep within the lost worlds of Clover's imagination, fish could survive in soda pop. They could also talk. 

"Aw, things are going to be alright," said a colourful cream soda koi.

"I don't see how. I'm trying to stay optimistic. But it's difficult when the two that are prophesized to save the universe act like children." 

"Ah, but children have a special way of looking at things, don't they? Look at how bad things got out there with adults in charge! Is it really that surprising that children end up saving it all? Children have always been the best bet to save the universe methinks.

"Hate is learned. Intolerance is learned. For a child, war is a game with harmless toys and low stakes. But guidance is needed, isn't it? They aren't bogged down with cause and effect, and that can get them hurt. They need to be protected. You need to protect them," said the fizzy fish.

"You are a wise fish," she smiled.

"Well, I'm in your head...so I guess that makes you the wise fish."

"Ha! I guess you're right. I am such a wise fish."

She then let out a loud, ground-shaking cream soda burp because she wanted the soft drink experience to be authentic, so she imaged it giving her a bit of gas. The distant trees shook. 

"To protect them, I'll have to find them first. I didn't do such a good job before," she burped out.

"This is important. Do whatever it takes. Whatever it takes," the fish burped back. 

"I will imagine this stream goes on forever. Then you can help me look for the fairy. I'm not sure that Potto is in here anymore. I think he's awake. But the fairy doesn't seem to follow any of the usual imaginary friend rules."

"Yes, I will help you look. You go that way; I'll go this way."

She got up and started following the stream one way.

"No!" the fish called out. "You go THAT way!"

"Oh, I thought you meant THIS way," she replied with a laugh. 

"Sorry. I don't have hands. I couldn't point," the fish pointed out without hands.

"Fair enough," she burped.

"You have a very strange imagination," the koi burped back.

"Damn straight," Clover smiled.

~~~

"For the love of--" Bundle barked at Potto as they stood in a clearing of his new section of imaginary woods. "Do you think you could stay unconscious for me? Think you can handle that?"

"Errrr--"

"Don't you give me that! I'm pissed at you right now! Do you want to get rescued? You'd rather die?? Because if you don't find that nice Clover lady, you are as good as dead, Buster!"