4 | bring them home

chapter four
BRING THEM HOME
"my ghost, where'd you go?"

"How long are you gonna keep me locked up in here?" Was the first thing that left Bellamy's mouth, unable to suppress his irritation anymore

Kane reasoned with slight bitterness, "Until I'm confident you're no longer a threat to others."

Bellamy sucked in a harsh breath of air as Kane took a seat, parallel to another empty chair.

"Let's continue," He said, "Now you said there were hundreds of Grounders attacking. 200, 300?"

Bellamy rolled his eyes, "I didn't count."

"Why do you think they attacked? What provoked them?"

"We were here. That was enough." Bellamy felt his anxiety burst at the surface, "We're wasting time. The others didn't just vanish into thin air. They were taken, and we need to go after them."

Kane looked up at him, "Search team is prepping to leave, but not before we've gotten the intel we need from you."

Bellamy swiftly moved to sit in front of him, "I need to be on that team, please."

Kane shook his head, "That's out of the question. You're not trained. It's too dangerous."

"Those are my people out there."

"They're my people, too. You want to help them? Tell me what we're up against. Grounder tactics, their numbers, what kind of weapons they used."

Bellamy reluctantly complied, "Arrows and spears, axes, swords, clubs, their teeth."

He shuddered slightly. With each weapon he listed, he could remember one of their people being attacked or even killed by it.

Kane narrowed his eyes, "No guns?"

Bellamy shook his head.

"But you had guns."

He nodded, "The guns we found at the aid depot leveled the playing field, and maybe—maybe if we'd had more bullets, we could have—"

Kane cut him off, "There were more bullets. Search team just returned from the bunker. They found two more barrels full of rifles and a third filled with bullets."

Bellamy's heart stopped.

He could vividly hear the soul-shattering click of the empty rifle as he tried to take down that Grounder.

The moment he realized he couldn't protect Evelynn.

He couldn't protect himself.

The moment he thought he had got them both killed.

It was as if their fate was sealed before the war had even ended.

Where is she?

"We should have looked harder." He thought out loud.