Chapter 8

Crisp white snow crunched underfoot as a dark figure travelled swiftly through the trees, keeping to the shadows. "Hey, wolf!" Turning back the wolf saw a glinting pair of green eyes beam down from the treetops "I've been watching you, and you know what I found out? I found out you've never hunted in your life have you?" "Nice to know your life is so pathetic that you feel the need to follow me." "Ooh, a snarky little puppy. Tell me ickle doggy what brings a member of the royal wolves to Mount Isiph?" "If you're sooo smart take a wild guess." "Challenge accepted! Ok so definitely royalty, judging by your looks definitely still just a pup about what 6 months, adorable by the way. So that would make you Princess Sky of Emolia." Sky lashed her tail as she saw the eyes glow with triumph "and you?" Sky thought she saw the eyes cloud over before the creature slithered down onto the ground his slender body lowered to the ground while flicking the tip of the tail. "What are you?" Sky asked tipping her head sideways "I'm a melanistic Panthera pardus." Sighing he dropped his tail to the ground and began slowly "a leopard with pure black fur. Also known as a black panther." "Right so a cat." "A little more than 'just a cat'!" He hissed. "Of course sorry. A big kitty." Rolling her eyes she walked around the panther and padded into the overgrowth. "Where are you going?" He called just before she vanished from view "This direction." "Yeah, I see that why?" "Why not?" "You do know Emolia's the other way right?!" "Yep, kinda why I'm going this way." Flicking an ear the panther sat down "I know a place where you can spend the night. Who knows what kind of death you could catch out here." He smiled to himself as he spotted a tiny pink nose poke it's way through the bush "go on." Laughing the black cat got up and sprinted away his tail streaming behind, scrambling forward Sky quickly followed.

Sky was surprised at how fast he could go seemingly melting into the shadows as he snaked his way through the trees, for the most part, she had to track his scent until she barreled into him as he sat staring up at a mountain. As Sky sank to the ground panting he flicked his muzzle upwards "there's a cave at the top it may be hard to find but it will definitely keep you safe." "You're not coming?" "Why would I go only to come back down?" "So how will I find it?" "You're supposed to be a smart wolf I'm sure you can figure it out." Smiling he got up trotting away into the woods. After watching him go she looked up as the wind sent snow tumbling down its slopes. Here we go I guess she thought beginning her climb.

Hooking her claws onto a ledge she hauled herself up before collapsing, gasping for whatever breath she could. Looking up she saw the tip of the mountain only a few feet above with another small ledge. Cold wind buffeted her fur chilling her to the bone, crawling into the cave Sky gasped although the cave was only a few paw-steps deep the walls were covered with drawings and writings from so many different species. The middle of the cave had a small dip where long burnt wood remained. Even the subtle scent of the ash made Sky's fur bristle as images flashed behind her eyes, using her whiskers she brushed against the wall following it around until she was opposite the entrance. Letting her tired paws fall to the ground she nuzzled her nose into her tail gleaning as much warmth as possible. Just as she was drifting off to sleep a sweet scent whirled around her making her feel safe and warm as if she was curled up by her mother's side. A soft distant voice ruffled her ear fur "I'm sorry my dear Sky if things were different I would be here with you now. I failed but for tonight I will keep you safe and warm." Barely lifting her head Sky's eyes flickered "Flame?"

Sunlight crept into the cave falling onto Sky as she began to stir, she missed the way her fur used to glow in the morning light. As she gave herself a quick clean a shadow blocked her light, looking up she saw a lithe black figure "Morning kitty." "What did you do to this place? It looks a mess!" "It came this way! Interesting writing though." He padded up to the scratched out writing with his head tipped "I can't read it." Sky smirked, "What the smart kitty cat can't read wolf?" The black cat turned hissing but quickly relaxed as he saw humour sparkle in her eyes. "The top line says 'A flame will always claw across a crimson sky' then the second line says 'Even the brightest star will be swallowed by the dark'" "What does that even mean?" "Just because I can read it doesn't mean I understand it. All I know is it's some sort of ancient prophecy." Sky turned up her lip slightly "What a wolf that doesn't believe in prophecies? Doesn't your Great Kingdom have a plan for everyone and thing?" He flinched as he saw Sky flare with anger as she spat "If they really cared I wouldn't be here accused of murder!" Slowly blinking his eyes the panther got up and stretched up at the entrance wall scratching horizontally. The scratching sound rang in Sky's head causing her ears to burn "What are you doing?" "I'm helping, I'm surprised you didn't freeze to death last night you run along and fetch a long stick and a bunch of vines." "Why?" "To build a door. Now run along!"