Chapter 18

"Sky! You must wake up!" Opening her mouth in protest Charlotte slapped her tail over her mouth "Shh his coming, you must get away!" Without another word Charlotte ran off vanishing into the darkness. "Ahh you're awake, good. Today's a very big day for you." Banan ignored Sky's growling as he went over to unchain her. Grumbling Sky picked herself up from the ground giving some of her cuts a lick. "Let me guess you're not letting me go out of the kindness of your heart." Growled Sky "of course not! Tonight is the night of the blood moon." Flicking his tail, Fang and another wolf Sky recognised as the grey she wolf Akira stepped forward from the dark and roughly nudged Sky to her feet. Slowly they made their way to the exit with Sky stumbling between them. As they stepped into the bright morning light Sky screwed up her eyes blinded, it's been too long since she'd seen the sun. As sky crouched by the lowest platform Banan leapt up behind her "Today is a good day!" He called as the other wolves gathered around curious. "As you know it is tradition for us to celebrate the blood moon. Although this time it shall be a little different." He gazed down at the huddled Sky flicking his tail "You see before me the trailer known as Sky, she will be replacing the pig. Don't worry we won't eat her, we're not cannibals." Sky noticed many looking uncomfortable at the thought of hurting her while Banan's loyal followers were howling with excitement, she thought they looked ready to tear her apart right there and then. 

Leaping down Banan padded up to his sister "now's your chance to get away. Well for about a heartbeat, then you'll be dragged back here and the children can claw you to pieces." With a grin he raked his claws down Sky's side. With a yelp she sprang forward her tail tucked between her legs as she ran through the crowd and out the gate, her belly fur brushing against the ground. Sky pulled herself through the brambles and bracken leaving behind tufts of fur and blood. She didn't care, there was nothing to stop Banan and his wolves from tracking and killing her. Reaching up with her forpaws Sky attempted to climb the nearest tree, it had a low enough branch to help get her started but her claws simply slipped back down ripping the bark as she fell. After a few attempts she slumped to the ground panting. She was tired, so so tired. Climbing under some tree roots Sky began to lick the dried blood from her fur, wincing as her tongue scraped across raw wounds. Slowly the rhythm of her tongue lulled her to sleep. 

"Find her! She's around her somewhere!" Wide awake Sky flattened herself into the back of the tree. There was nothing that could be done. It was fight or die. Flattening her ears she crept forward three wolves and a she-wolf, how tricky she thought. She watched as they shuffled around the forest, sniffing every bush and stick. A wiry grey wolf stepped Infront of Sky's hidey hole. A youngster she thought perfect. Bunching her muscles she pounced clawing at the young wolf's back legs, he howled in pain and swung around to try and shake off his attacker. Still Sky held on worming her way onto his back, unable to carry the extra weight, the grey wolf's legs bucked as he fell. Just as Sky was about to bite into his shoulder something slammed into her side pinning her to the ground with its teeth. "Fang!" Sky spat "Just let me go Banan can keep Emolia just let me go and I promise never to return." Akira cackled dancing around them "Let me kill her! let me kill her!" "No, she goes back to town just as king Banan has ordered." Fang snapped, glaring at her. "King Banan" Sky mocked, rolling her eyes. With a snarl Fang raked his claws down her side "How dare you insult him!" This made Sky laugh, as her head fell back. A hopeless pitiful laugh. "King of the spineless more like." "Said the one who ran away." "Run run run as fast as you can…." Sky laughed harder, her paws flailing in the air. "She's gone mad." Akira said, casting a worried glance between them. 

All the way back to town Sky kept her maddening laughter, Fang was quickly growing tired of it. He had lunged for her a few times only to be stopped by Akira grasping his scruff. "She's not worth it, remember your oath." She would say. How could he forget the best day of his life? Well second best. Not even bowing down to Banan could top the moment Akira agreed to be his mate. He watched her laughing and joking with the youngest member of their group, the young lad seemed not to notice the long claw marks down his side as he bounced around. Fang was happy, one day he'd be walking through the woods just like this alongside his own pups, Banan had assured this. The young royal had approached him back when they all lived in the hollow oak, just after the group had left to go to Emolia. He couldn't believe Sky got to go with. She shouldn't even be alive and yet they made her next in line. Banan was even more furious than he was, of course he was, he was the eldest and best suited for the position. But the cunning young wolf had a plan, a fire to trap the young Sky as she slept. She'd be dead along with any fool that followed her and everyone else could safely move to Emolia. His heart ached as he thought about Lillyana, the unwanted tragedy. The beautiful young she-wolf was supposed to be his mate, it was what Banan had planned. And what a mate she would've been. Fang looked at Akira once more, he felt bad. He loved Akira and was looking forward to a life with her, but he would always love Lillyana more. The love that never was. Perhaps if he had a daughter she could share the name of his first beloved. I bet even Banan would be happy with such a fine name he thought smiling. "What are you thinking about?" Akira asked, her brilliant yellow eyes glowing with worry. "A life with you." He said nuzzling her cheek "I can't wait to have our own pups." Akira let out a happy chirp before whispering "I can't wait either. But first we have a war to win." She finished her voice growing hard. Fang gave her head a loving lick, he shared her anger and her fear, Banan will save us he thought, closing his eyes.