A New Day

Solveigh was dreaming that she was on the beach, the summer sun warming her face as the waves lapped at her feet. Suddenly, water splashed on her face and she jerked awake. Only the water wasn't actually water. Persephone, her Seeing Eye Dog, was licking her face with a relish.

Sputtering, Sol pushed the big German Shepherd away. "Persephone! Stop it! That's disgusting!" The dog only panted at her and she sighed, flopping back down on the pillow. "You know, you can just ask to go for a walk, right?"

Persephone gave a small bark and Sol heard the skittering of claws on the floor as she bounded for the door. With a groan, Sol rolled out of bed. "Just let me put some real clothes on. Unlike you, I can't go out in my birthday suit."

After messaging her mom to let her know that she was going out, Sol clipped Persephone into her harness and slipped out of the house. The temperature was already uncomfortably warm even though the sun was barely up. Solveigh couldn't wait for fall. The only downside was that fall meant school. Speaking of school, it was starting next week. Sol really did have to start packing.

Solveigh attended the Miami School for the Blind as a boarding student. Even though her family didn't actually live that far away from the city itself, having to drive more than an hour twice a day, every day was just too much for her parents. She didn't mind, though. It was fun being out on your own. Even if there were teachers around every corner to make sure you didn't kill yourself accidentally.

She missed Cat, and the rest of the gang. It was hard just seeing them on the weekends because they had been practically attached at the hip for as long as she could remember. But she did have Trey, and the rest of her friends from Mr. Shane's class. And she'd made a lot of friends last year so she wasn't alone. Still, it had been a huge adjustment that first year.

But Sol was looking forward to going back. Her parents were a little less excited about it, though. Even almost two years after the accident they still worried when she was out on her own. They were a lot better than they had been, though. It turned out Sol going to boarding school had been a healing process for them too. It really let all of them get some distance from the whole situation, and the school shrink, Mrs. Dunn, said distance was just the thing to get some perspective. Mrs. Dunn was really smart so she should know.

Sol's watch beeped, letting her know it was eight o'clock. "Come on, girl," she said to Persephone, "We should be getting back if we want breakfast." She then turned around and began to retrace her steps back to the house. Sol pretty much had her whole neighborhood, and the surrounding area within walking distance, mapped out in her head. With Persephone, and the GPS on her phone, she could navigate pretty much anywhere. And if she ever did get lost, Jacen or her parents were only a call away.

Jace wouldn't be at Solveigh's beck and call forever, though. He and his girlfriend, now fiancée, Aimee Reed had both graduated that year and they were starting their jobs with the Miami Police Department. Honestly, Sol never thought that her brother would actually get the nerve to propose to Aimee, but she was ecstatic that he had. Aimee was one of the coolest people on the planet, and she and Sol got along really well. Sol couldn't wait to have a real sister... and to give her a dear brother a hard time too.

Solveigh could smell breakfast cooking as soon as she entered the house. "Hey, Mom!" she called, hanging Persephone's harness on the coat rack, "I'm back!"

"Good morning, Sol," Mom said as she walked into the kitchen. "You were up early."

Sol slid into one of the barstools. "This spoiled brat wanted to go on a walk." She reached down where she knew the dog would be sitting and stroked her ears.

She could practically hear her mother shaking her head. "You do spoil that animal rotten."

"But she's such a good girl, and she works so hard. Don't you, girl?" Sol scratched Persephone around her ears.

"Anyway," Mom said, sounding like she was trying not to smile, "Trey called a few minutes ago. I told him you were out, but you'd call him back as soon as you got home."

"Did he say want he wanted?" Sol asked.

"No, Mom said, "He just said he wanted to talk to you."

"I guess I'll call him back before breakfast."

"Do you want one egg, or two?" Mom asked as she slipped off the barstool.

"Just one," Sol called from the living room.

Plopping down on the couch, Sol turned on her phone. "Call Trey-Trey."

The line began to ring and moment later she heard Trey's voice. "Good morning, Sunny."

Solveigh grinned broadly. "Good morning, Trey-Trey."