It Started With Hello

The first two weeks came and went, and now it was time for Solveigh to go home for the weekend. Since her family lived close enough the school she got to spend most weekends with them. A lot of her fellow students weren't as lucky. This included Tiana. Sol was determined to get her friend to come over at least one weekend before school ended.

Sol didn't need to pack any clothes so she just stuffed a few necessities - her phone, headphones, and laptop, etc. - into her backpack. Then she went to the kennel to fetch Persephone. Now Sol was sitting in the main administration building waiting for Trey. Her parents had offered to drive him home too so his brother wouldn't have to drive all the way into Miami.

Sol was just about to text Trey and ask where he was when she heard footsteps approaching. Instinctively, she raised her head, a habit left over from the days when it was actually rude to not look at someone when they talked to you. Still, Sol jumped when a boy's voice, and not one she recognized, said from right in front of her, "Hey. Hello. Could you tell me where to find the boy's dorm. I'm supposed to be picking up my brother, but he's not answering and I don't know where he is."

"Uh...," was the only thing Solveigh could think to say for a moment. It had been a while since she was the being asked directions. She had to take a moment to picture the school's layout in her head. Finally she cleared her throat and said, "Um... if you go right out of the main building, it's the big, semi-circular building on the right."

"Thanks a lot," the boy said. "I'm Elias Caine, by the way." There was a silence and Sol got the feeling he was holding out his hand. It was then she realized the boy didn't know she was blind. Though she didn't know how he could have missed it.

Biting back laughter, Sol gestured vaguely at her eyes. "I uh... can't um... see your hand."

"Oh, my god... um..." Sol could picture Elias' face going red. "I am so sorry. I didn't realize. You must think I'm so stupid."

Sol smiled. "It's fine."

Elias chuckled awkwardly. "I can't believe I didn't notice, but you were looking at her your phone then you looked right at me..."

"Trust me, that was purely a coincidence. And as for looking at my phone, that's just muscle memory, I guess."

"Still...," he said. "I feel so stupid..."

Sol giggled. "We all have those moments. Anyway..." She held out her hand. "I'm Solveigh."

"That's a very pretty name," Elias said, reaching out to shake her hand. "Not one you hear every day."

"Thank you."

"It's Latin, isn't it?" he went on. "Sol means sun, right?"

Sol nodded, surprised he had figured it out. "Yeah. Most people don't make the connection. You must be very smart, Elias."

Elias just laughed good-naturedly. "I literally only know, like, ten words in Latin. It's enough for me to bluff my way through a conversation with most people, though."

Solveigh grinned. "I bet the girls are impressed."

Elias laughed again. "Are you?"

"What?"

"Impressed."

Sol leaned back. "I'm not sure yet. I-."

She didn't get any farther because, just then, Trey's voice called out, "Sol?"

"On the bench, Trey," she called back.

"Who are you talking to?" Trey asked as he walked up to Sol and Elias.

"Oh, Trey, this is Elias. He's here to pick up his brother. I was giving him directions," Sol said. "Elias, this Trey, my boyfriend."

"Nice to meet you, Trey," Elias said.

"Likewise." Trey's voice was polite, but Sol was picking up a hint of annoyance.

"Hey," Elias said after a moment. "I have to get my brother. I'll see you around, though. Sol. Trey."

"Bye," Sol said. Trey just grunted.

Once Elias' footsteps faded, Trey asked, "Who was he?"

"Dunno," Sol said. "His brother is a student here, but I don't know anyone named Caine. Must be new." She paused then asked, "What was your problem anyway? You're not exactly bubbly, but you were being grumpier than usual."

"Why would I have a problem?" he asked, but his tone said otherwise.

Sol knew her boyfriend well enough not to push the envelope when he was in a mood so she let the subject drop. Instead they talked about what they were going to do over the weekend. Trey had said he had a surprise for Sol, and she was trying to guess what it was, but he wasn't telling.

Unfortunately, Mom called and said she was outside before Sol had a chance to threaten the information out of him. "I'll get it out of you one way or another," she said in a low voice as the walked out the door.

Trey just laughed and slipped his arm around Sol's shoulders. "No need to resort to violence. You'll know all about it by tomorrow."

Solveigh snickered and poked him in the ribs. "But I was looking forward to unleashing my epic ninja skills on you."

"Can't hit what you can't see, baby."

"Demetrius Cole Bauer!" Sol exclaimed, but she was laughing too hard to smack him.

"I'm kidding, baby, I'm kidding." He gave her a squeeze. "I love you."

"I love you too."