A Little Bit Of Heaven

Saturday morning dawned bright and clear, at least according to Solveigh's dad, and Sol was up with the sunrise. Trey wasn't supposed to pick her up until ten, but she was too excited to sleep. It had been ages since she and Trey had gone on a date. Even during the summer, when they weren't busy with school, it was hard to find time because their weren't many places they could go on their own. Real romantic, having your parents breathing down your neck the entire time.

It seemed like a small eternity before ten rolled around, but Sol finally heard a car pull up outside. Smoothing her dress, she shouted goodbye to her parents and whistled for Persephone. Then she made her way outside.

The car door opened and Sol heard Trey's brother, Tony, say, "Hello, Sol. Do you need any help?"

"Hey, Tony," Sol replied. "I'm good, thanks. You could open the door, though."

"Sure."

"How long are you home for?" Sol asked Tony as she climbed into the front seat of his truck. Tony worked as a nurse in Miami.

"Just the weekend," Tony replied as he climbed into the driver's seat.

"And he's spending it carting his deadbeat brother around," Trey piped up from the back seat.

Tony laughed and started the truck. "You're just lucky it was me and not Marc."

"I don't know," Sol said, grinning. "He's a lot nicer now. Sadie must be a gentling influence."

"Don't tell him that," Trey said. "He guards his bad boy image like the Crown Jewels."

Sol laughed. "My lips are sealed."

Sol still struggled with judging the passage of time, but it felt like about an hour later that Tony finally stopped the truck and announced that they had arrived.

"Arrived where?" she asked as she climbed carefully out of the truck.

"You'll have to wait and see," Trey said, climbing out after her. "Tony, can you get the basket?"

"Already done."

"Are you guys seriously not going to tell me anything?" Sol asked, untangling Persephone's leash.

"Nope," Trey said.

"I hate you."

Trey laughed and put his arm around her. "I sure hope not. Especially, since I put all this effort into putting this whole thing together."

"You mean all the effort you put into telling me what to do," Tony grumbled.

"I love youuuu, broooother," Trey drawled in a high-pitched voice.

Sol snickered, but Tony just sighed and said, "Careful brother, or I might just not come back."

"Dad would kill you."

"I could live with that."

"Okay, boys," Sol said, trying not to laugh. "Let's not kill each other. It's supposed to be a happy day, right?"

"Yeah, Antonius," Trey said. "Why you gotta be so grumpy all the time."

Trey's brother just ignored the jab. "Come on."

They proceeded in silence onto the sand and along the beach. It was rather slow going because sand wasn't the best surface to walk on when your balance wasn't in top form. Finally, Tony called out, "We're here!" and set the basket down with a thud. A very wooden sounding thud.

"Are we at the pier?" Sol asked.

"You guessed it," Trey answered.

Before Sol could say anything, Tony cleared his throat and said, "Well, I will leave you two to it. Don't have too much fun."

Sol waited until the dull crunch of his footsteps in the sand faded before she kissed Trey and the cheek. "Thank you so much."

"We haven't even got to the best part yet."

"There's more?"

Trey laughed. "Sure is."

With that he retrieved the basket from where Tony set it down and made his way down the pier. Pulling Persephone away from her digging, Sol followed. Trey stopped at the end of the pier and began carefully unpacking the basket. After securing Persephone's lead to the railing, Sol sat down next to him.

"What's in the basket?" she asked.

"All your favorites," Trey replied.

"Oh, Trey!" Sol squealed. "You brought me on a picnic to my favorite spot! You are the best!"

"I try," he replied in a too-humble voice.

Sol giggled. "So, what did you get me?"

The next few hours passed in a happy dream and Sol wished the day would never end. But time never stopped for anyone, and, all too soon, Tony was calling to say he was on his way back.

"I had a wonderful time, Trey," Sol said as she helped him pack the basket again. "Thank you."

"I'm just glad you're happy."

Sol smiled. "I'm happy as long as I'm with you."

Trey didn't say anything, he just leaned over and kissed her. As she leaned into him, Sol thought, I don't know how it gets better than this.