For The Best

Solveigh's heart was pounding in her throat, but somehow she found the courage to say, "I owe you an apology, Elias."

There was a brief pause before he asked, "What do you mean, Sol? You haven't done anything wrong."

It took a great effort to speak past the lump in her throat. "That's just it... I've done everything wrong. I... Oh, Elias..." Sol choked back a sob. "I've tried so hard... I wish I could, desperately, but I just can't. I can't make myself feel what isn't there."

"Sol..." Elias's voice caught slightly, but Sol shook her head.

"Please, let me finish..." When Elias didn't say anything else, she swallowed hard and said, "I was hurt and angry and lonely, and you were there... always so sweet and kind, and I just... I was just so confused. I know that's no excuse. I should have spoken up so much sooner, but you were so wonderful to me and I didn't want to hurt you. It's killing me right now, knowing I'm causing you pain, but you don't deserve to be lied to."

Sol took a deep breath, blinking back the tears that threatened fall. "Elias... you're such an amazing person, and I believe, with all my heart, that you'll find someone who really deserves you. Somebody much better than me." She closed her eyes for a moment. "I know it won't ever make up for the way I treated you, but I wanted you to know how sorry I am for dragging you into my mess. And I really do wish things could have been different, but I can't change the way I feel."

Sol lowered her head and clasped her hands together. "I don't deserve to ask this, but I hope you can't forgive me someday."

The silence stretched on so long that Sol wondered if Elias had somehow managed to slip away during her speech. Finally, she heard him inhale slowly. Bracing herself for the angry tirade she knew she deserved, Sol bit her lip.

But Elias only sighed quietly. "I suppose I saw this coming, but I hoped it wouldn't really happen."

Sol started slightly, but he went on before she could form any words. "Deep down I always knew you didn't love me quite as much as I loved you. I guess I tried to pretend that everything was okay, but I knew better. As much as I tried to convince myself otherwise, I'm not blind; you never stopped loving Trey. I'll always just be the second choice."

Sol wanted to protest and say it wasn't like that, but they both knew it was the truth. Stung from Trey's rejection, she had collapsed into the nearest pair of arms. Now she was paying the price for her foolishness.

For several minutes there were just the sounds of the night filling the air around them. Finally, Sol felt Elias take her hand in his own. "It will hurt me more than words can describe to let you go, but, in the end, you're right. As much as I want it to be, it will only end in more heartbreak down the road."

Elias was quiet again for a moment before he said, his voice quiet, "Before I go I want you to know... even if you never return my feelings, I'll always have a special place for you in my heart. All I want is for you to be happy, Sol, so can you promise me you'll do that?"

Tears trickling down her cheeks, Sol nodded. "I promise..."

"Good." Elias sighed softly. "Then I wish you all the luck in the world, Solveigh Winters."

Then, with a quick hug and a whispered goodbye, he was gone. For a long time Sol just stood there, the tears falling silently. Then, drying her eyes, she stood. There was one last task she had to do tonight. Pulling out her phone, Sol turned it on and said, "Call Trey."