The New Generation

On Monday morning, we go to the platform, packed and ready for school. I am a little nervous to be in the same space as my Harry Potter, but it will be okay. I made my feelings very clear. If he can't accept that, someone will stop him from making a scene. Hopefully.

Scorpius is still muttering information we covered in our last revision session and I haven't got the heart to stop him. He is incredibly adorable at this precise moment in time, and the exams are fast-approaching.
The platform is still fairly quiet when we arrive, early at Scorpius' request, and we decide to get on and claim our compartment before there is conflict over it. I wait patiently as Scorpius says goodbye to Draco with another hug that could honestly become the stuff of legend. And then Scorpius pulls away and picks up his trunk.

"I'll see you both in summer?" Draco smiles.

"Thank you for letting me stay," I try not to mumble. "It's – it means a lot. Thank you."

"I'm glad we could help, and I hope he sees some sense at some point soon."

I nod, swallowing a lump in my throat as I go to pick up my trunk. Before I can, however, he envelopes me in a hug and I close my eyes as they well up with tears. I don't even know why this makes me emotional anymore. It just does. I try to take deep breaths. I don't want to get on the train looking like a wreck.

I want to get on the train knowing that I love and am loved, despite everything that has happened. I know I will, but this is a welcome final reminder. This is the knowledge that I will always be loved by someone, that I will never be alone. I need to remember that more. No one is alone.

After the hug, Scorpius and I clamber onto the train, hand in hand, and find a compartment. Scorpius reaches for his notes from his trunk and I shake my head.

"One day off," I say. "Because my family will find us soon."

"Okay," Scorpius nods. "You all right?"

"Yeah," I nod back. "Just – just emotional."

Scorpius smiles gently at me and I stretch out along the seat, sighing. For the first time in a while, I'm not keen to go back to school. Maybe that's a good thing. It means that home, or the place I'm staying, is better than constant stress and bullying. That isn't a huge bar to pass, but staying at home still managed to fall short.

Scorpius chuckles and sits opposite me, looking out the window at the busying platform. It gets increasingly noisy as time passes, and I sit up when Scorpius waves at someone. A single glance out the window offers a multitude of explanation – my family are stood around, all saying goodbye, and Lily is looking directly at us.

I smile, shaking my head as she waves very energetically. I wave back, and then duck out of sight as dad turns around. I don't need this shit now. Scorpius smiles softly at me and I smile back. We have about five minutes before a small bus load of my family turn up in the compartment and we lose all peace.

I don't mind it. I want to see my family, catch up with them. It's been a long time since I've gone a week without speaking to any of them. I missed Lily and James. I never thought that would be possible, but since I've stopped shutting them out, stopped insisting that being entirely alone is a good idea, I have been happier. It's been a little overwhelmed with everything going on with Harry Potter, but it's something.

Almost exactly on time, about five minutes later, there's a knock on the compartment door, and Lily, James, Rose, and several others file in, chatting loudly. Lily comes to me first, throwing her arms around me in a very enthusiastic hug. I smile, wrapping her in a hug as the others sit down.

When Lily lets go, I look at James questioningly. Normally, he sits with his friends rather than the family, but today he appears to have left every single one of them. When Lily sits down, he comes and sits next to me, placing an arm over my shoulder.

"Did you miss me?" I tease.

"Yes, I did," James says quietly.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Dad's a dick."