(19) Becoming A Lady

It had been two weeks since that weekend. Anna picked up Ellie from school since she didn't have softball but Bucky still had his practice and football training.

Anna took her to her house. She said "so your heels for the ball came in today." Anna said as she made her some chicken alfredo.

"Heels? I have to wear heels. Grandma I haven't worn heels I always wear flats. If you noticed I took my heels off at my party." Ellie said

"Elliot..you need some self confidence baby. Your mother has made you believe that nobody could ever love you cause you didn't look like her. Ive got news for you my darling grand daughter. You are capable of love and being loved." Anna said as she laid the bowl down.

Ellie began to eat her food after she ate her food. Anna put her heels on her and put a book on her head. "Now walk to me." Anna said as she walked away.

"Grandma Im gonna fall.." she said

The book kept falling and she kept losing her balance. Ryan James and Bucky walked in. "Hey Anna" James said scaring Ellie.

"Whoa whoa.." Ellie said as she slipped and fell on her butt.

Bucky helped her up and picked up the book. "What are you doing?" He said

"She is learning how to walk in heels." Anna said as she made her start over.

"Mom.." Ryan said

"Come on Elle..you are ballerina you can do this."  Bucky said as he walked back to his dad.

Ellie kept trying over and over after two hours she was finally able to do it. After that long two hours James showed Bucky how to escort Ellie down the stairs.

That took another long hour of Ellie trying to not fall. After they did that Edith came in with Winnie. They had set up a table in the sunroom.

For two hours their grandmothers drilled into their heads how a formal table looks. How to use proper manners and everything else that had to do with a formal dinner.

Ellie went on to the car as James and Bucky left in Winnie's car. Ryan got into their car "Baby I know this alot but Im proud of you. You are a fighter baby you always have been." Ryan said

She smiled at him.

The next morning she went with her dad to see Taylor before her surgery. Taylor was two months into her chemo and it was taking its toll on her. Taylor was starting to experience the side effects like losing her hair.

"Dad said Anna had you with a book on your head last night." She said

"Yeah.." Ellie said

"Come here baby.." Taylor hugged her.

"I will see you when I get out okay.." Taylor said

"Okay." She said

James came in after they took her back. "Someone wanted to be here for you Elle." James said and he moved for her to see Bucky standing there.

"You skipped school?" She said

"So did you?" He said

"I have a reason.." she said

"So do I..she has always been like a second mom to me." He said

Charles came into the room. "Come with me guys." Charles said

They followed him to the viewing area. Ellie saw her mom under anesthesia she started to watch James Sr.perform the surgery.

Ellie watched the whole time. "Grandpa I thought you said 4." She said

"One of them hasn't reduced in size. It's the one on her occipital lobe." Charles said as he came up behind her.

He showed her what the scan showed. "Oh..so what happens now?" She said

"She will have to continue chemo and the left eye wont have any sight in it.  But she will be allowed to go home so thats good news." Charles said

Ellie looked at her mom's scans. "Will she have to do stronger chemo?" She said

"Yeah." Charles said

She looked back at her mom as James finished up the surgery. That afternoon Anna saw Ellie in her kitchen.

"Here grandma.." Ellie handed her index card to her.

"Whats this baby?" Anna said

She started to read it:

Elliot Katherine Cooper daughter of Ryan Kellan Cooper and Taylor Ann Mcgregor-Cooper. Granddaughter of Dr Charles Elliot Cooper and Former DA Anna Katherine Cooper, Dr Johnathan Allen Mcgregor and retired nurse Sophie Loren Mcgregor. Her hobbies include Ballet Tennis Violin. Her plan after college "Attend college at NYU and to go to medical school. Her escort is James Buchanan Barnes son of James Edward Barnes Jr and Winifred Maxine Matthews-Barnes. Grandson of Dr James Edward Barnes Jr and Edith Noelle Barnes, Dr William Matthews and Naomi Abigail Latham-Matthews. His hobbies are Football Basketball and his plan after high school is to attend college at UGA and to go to medical school."

"Oh Elle baby girl." Anna said as she hugged her.

Everyone came over that night for dinner except Ryan. He was staying at the hospital. He had kept his mouth shut about Taylor admitting to her indiscretion with Carter Johns. Charles was the only one that knew and he told him it was the tumors.

Anna had both Bucky and Ellie at the top of the staircase. "Okay James read this off." Anna said as she hands him Ellie's introduction card.

James Sr starts to read it off as they met at the center. Bucky kisses her knuckles then they start down the stairs. Ryan and Taylor watched as Winnie facetimed her.

"She is going to make a beautiful debutante." Taylor said

Once they were done Bucky came up behind her. "Now I know why you were asking so many questions earlier." He said

She smiled at him "I wanted to make sure I had it all right." She said as she looked over her shoulder.

He smiled. "How am I suppose to protect you in NY if Im all the way down here." He said

"You dont protect me." She said

"Oh I beg to differ." He said as he put his forehead against hers.

She scrunched her face at him he stuck his tongue at her. "James Ellie Kate you ready?" Winnie said

"Yeah.." Ellie said as she walked away as he followed in behind her.