O N E

"Eric wake your ass up before you miss the bus again", I said angrily while pulling the cover off his body.

"Ugh, two more minutes please liyah", he said while putting the cover back over his body.

If I don't get up in time to wake Angel & Eric up for school in the morning they will never get up on their own . Angel is my thick, stubborn sixteen year old sister and Eric is my bipolar, stubborn thirteen year old brother. We live on the West side of Chicago which is the worst area in Chicago besides the East side. The west side is full of drug-dealers, gangsters, prostitutes and criminals an we so happen to live on this side. My mother left when Eric was born and never came back since. As for our father well we never knew the man. So it's just my grandmother, sister, brother and I. My grandmother is very old and vulnerable so am basically in charge of the house and my siblings.

My name is Aliyah Johnson an I'm nineteen years old. I work a part-time job as a cashier at a local food store in my neighborhood and attend community college as well. Growing up as a teenager I never really had a normal life like going to parties, prom and other exciting stuff you do as a teenager. I always had to hustle to keep food on the table and clothes on my siblings back whether it was working two jobs or using thugs for money. Now I know your'e thinking I'm a slut or gold digger but am not. Niggas come on to me all the time so I take it as an opportunity to take their money and dip. I know it sounds very cold hearted but nobody ever showed me or taught me how to love.  So why should I try anyway when I know niggas on the westside only trying to fuck. Besides, I'm not ready to fall in love and give my virginity to someone who doesn't deserve it.

Plus, I was to busy being a mother to my siblings and trying to keep my grades up in school to be focusing on a relationship. Many days I wanted to give up and just leave. But I know what it's like to struggle an have nothing so I have to be strong and take care of my siblings so they wouldn't go through what I 'm going through now to raise them. Although we live in a two bedroom apartment, I still make sure my siblings are comfortable and have the latest clothes. I really don't focus on my appearance because I don't have the time to. Plus, I don't go no where besides school and work so it really doesn't matter.

"Angel you been in the bathroom for almost an hour now get your ass out of there before you and Eric miss the bus", I said while banging on the door.

"Chill liyah, I'm doing my make up and I'm not catching the bus, Carlos is dropping me to school and Eric is coming with me", she said.

I didn't really approve of Angel dating Carlos because he was a west side gang banger an I didn't want Angel getting involve with his dangerous lifestyle. But besides the fact that he is in a gang, he is a real gentleman and caring person. He takes Angel out on dates, carries her to school sometimes and brings her home and gives her anything she wants. Although, Carlos was twenty-one and Angel was sixteen , Angel was very mature and that's what I love about her. She always make sure she keep her grades up in school, does her chores and come home on time despite her stubborn attitude. Our parents we really did made a dumb decision walking out on us because were living quite well without them. Angel and I have the same father but Eric doesn't. Eric father is in jail for raping and killing a seventeen year old girl. Eric doesn't know anything about his father whether he's alive or not and am glad because he isn't a good person.

"Ma where your pills, you need to take them before I leave to go to school", I said to my grandma while looking in the kitchen cabinets.

" It's in my draw liyah", she said laying in her bed watching tv.

"Okay let me see you take your pills", I told her before I left her room.

Since I have school in the morning and work in the evening. I let Ms.Nettie our next door neighbor check up and feed her. I was going to pay her for doing it but she refused an told me that she'll do it for free because she knows am struggling. Besides Ms.Nettie and my best friend Kayla I don't trust anyone else to watch my grandmother. People these days don't have patience with old people an take advantage of them an I don't need to go to jail for someone mistreating my grandma cause i'll fuck them up.

"Liyah Carlos outside so imma see you later", Angel said.

"Okay, you guys be safe and I love y'all", I said.

"We love you too sis", they both said in unison.

Since Angel and Eric left the house, it was time for me to get ready for school. After I took a quick shower and brush my teeth, I threw on a half cut shirt with a tight blue jeans and slick my hair in a ponytail then left the building. Usually, I would catch a ride with Kayla to school but she's out of town for awhile which means I have walk to the bus stop an catch that ghetto ass bus today. I never really had to walk or catch the bus because Kayla always carries me where I need to go. But since she's gone I have to get use to it. As I was walking, I decided to put in my ear plugs to listen to music while I walk to the bus stop so I can avoid west side niggas.

When I arrived at the bus stop, I decided to go over my essay paper what was due today. Whiles I was reading, I noticed a car I didn't recognize had stop in the front of me. This is the seem reason why I hate walking around west side because of shit like this.

"Aye shorty, wassup", a deep voice said.

"Go away please", I said without evening looking up.

"Cut that shit out , you need a ride or no", he said.

"Look I don't ne...... when I looked at who the person was I couldn't even finish my sentence. It was Elijah dark skin ass I was talking to, Elijah was the biggest drug dealer on the west side. He was known for killing niggas who didn't pay him and niggas knew not to mess with him. West side girls would do anything just to be with him, even if it means setting up their own nigga. But I wasn't impress by what he did or had for some reason.

"I don't need a ride", I said with an attitude.

"You sure you want to wait on that ghetto ass bus", he said.

I thought about what he said and to tell you the truth I didn't want to catch that  bus for real. But I don't catch ride with everybody especially not Elijah. After thinking about it for awhile, I finally gave in and got in the car with Elijah. The ride with Elijah was silent, but I caught him looking at me a couple of times though.

"So, whats your name shorty", Elijah said.

"It's Aliyah an stop calling me shorty cause am not short", I said rolling my eyes.

"Relax, you're so uptight with that bad ass attitude", he said laughing.

"I didn't find that funny", I said with a mug on my face.

"My bad ms.liyah", he said.

"So where you headed looking all cute 'n' shit", he said examining my body.

"At school, I attend community college on the north side", I said.

"Cool, it's nice to see a chick from the west side hustle an attend college without depending on a nigga", he said.

Elijah was right, it was rare to see a female from the west side trying to be someone in life. West side girls were known for sleeping around with multiple niggas for money and being  strippers. I was way different from them and so was Angel. I always hustle for what I wanted and still am despite that fact that I use niggas for money. I never asked them for it , they offer and I take it and go my way but other than that am totally different from these hoes.

"Well this is my stop", I said avoiding eye contact an getting out the car.

"Thanks for the ride", I said.

"Anytime shorty", he said looking at me.

After that I started to make my way towards the campus,but before I could make it far Elijah called me from behind.

"Yeah", I said.

"Give me your number so I could pick you back up", he said.

After I had give him my number I made my way to my first class. In class, I started to think about how cool and chill Elijah was. He same like a great guy despite what he do for a living . But I know we can never be more than just friends. I'm not Elijah type an I know he messes with a lot of hoes besides he's from the west wide which means a no no.

                                                              Vote & Comment