Chapter 1

My screams woke me from my slumber. But I didn't open my eyes until cold water splashed on my face. My breathing fastened, the tears frozen on my face.

I slowly tried to sit up, that's when I noticed someone sitting at the edge of my bed. I squinted in the dark, trying to figure out who it was. Her white-blonde hair glowed in the dark. She extended her hand, offering me a glass of water. I reluctantly took it and it almost slipped out of my hand. The cold water quenched my thirst, I didn't realize how dry my mouth was. I set the glass on the nightstand next to my bed. I tried to steady my breathing but I kept thinking about the nightmare I had. I shivered, and not because of the cold but because I was frightened. My hair was plastered to my neck and forehead in sweat and the sweat stains on my clothes were kind of embarrassing.

It was just a nightmare, I told myself. It was just a nightmare. I wanted to ask the time but I couldn't get the words out of my mouth. Instead, I rested my head on my knees and tried to slow my heart rate.

Deep breaths, I tried to calm myself down. Deep breaths.

"Are you okay?"

I looked up and recognized the figure sitting in front of me. She was much clearer now, her eyes sparkled, and by sparkle, I mean they literally sparkled.

I simply shook my head. "No thanks, Raelynn." I squeaked.

"Try going back to sleep." she told.

"I can't" I said through gritted teeth.

"Well...." she hesitated. "There's no point anyway. We have a few hours until breakfast so going back to sleep now make it hard for you to wake up"

I rolled my eyes, irritated. Don't get me wrong, I was grateful for Raelynn and that she was here next to me pretty much every night made it kind of easier for me to calm down.

She tried to make me stop screaming in my sleep, even though it was by soaking me in cold water. But I deserve it too, because I feel guilty about waking up the other girls hours before they're alarms go off. And Raelynn, well she sits next to me until I doze off and is the first one awake. I asked her multiple times to switch beds with someone so she'd be at a distance and would be out of earshot of my screams but she insisted that I let her do what she wants. At least I warned her about my night terrors.

I pulled off the covers and slipped my feet into my torn boots. I tip-toed to the bathroom, careful not to bump into anyone's bed.

The strong light of the bathroom pierced my eyes and I squinted in the mirror, trying to get a clear image of myself. I turned on the tap and quickly washed my face, sending droplets everywhere. My sleeves were soaked to my elbows and my hair was damp as well as the rest of my clothes.

The rest of the girls were still under the sheets and I wasn't even going to try and go back to sleep, so I took refuge outside. The cold air kissed my skin and I shivered in the cold. At times like this, I missed the Summers, or whatever warmth we had here in Stellaregno.

"You can't stay here" a familiar voice said.

"Go away, Raelynn." I said.

"No" she protested.

I turned around and saw that she was fully dressed for training. All black of coarse, warm jacket, leather gloves and warm leggings.

"I can't go away, I live here." she reminded me. I rolled my eyes at her.

I debated taking a walk but the cold weather made it hard for me to move, I was frozen stiff. I glanced at the sky and tried to Stargaze for a while. I could feel Raelynn staring at me and that made it even harder than usual for me to concentrate.