Chapter 14

I huffed and fell in my seat. "Can we stop now?" I begged.

"I suppose so," Hellen allowed.

We've been doing this for hours and every time I tried to manipulate that stupid stone both my temples started aching. It was the same thing that happened when I Stargazed. I feared I would collapse any second.

Hellen put the stone on the table in front of me and ordered that I try to make it hover again. I concentrated hard enough and I finally got it up in the air. I had to keep floating for five minutes, with much effort I did. It landed on the table with a thud.

"Why are you having so much difficulty?" Hellen wondered out loud. "It's a stone from one of Virgo's Stars then you should be okay with conducting it. Just like you do with your Constellations."

"I don't know. Maybe it's because I haven't done it in a long time. Or maybe because that stone isn't the one I normally use." I gulped.

"Like I said, neither of those things should matter." she repeated. "Did you use a stone from Virgo or Ophiuchus?"

"Virgo."

"Have you tried Ophiuchus?" she asked. I shook my head.

"Maybe that will work better. Although it shouldn't matter." she said patiently.

"I'll keep that in mind." I said in a low voice.

"I think that's enough for one day." Hellen said. "I'll call you for your next class, we'll try to do it at least two times a week."

She put the stone in my hand and I hid it in my pocket. I was afraid I might get it out of control and accidently hurt someone with it but I promised Hellen I wouldn't practice on my own. The cold air brushed my skin and I pulled my sweater tighter. The sky was pink and orange, it was almost lunch time but I wasn't hungry.

My plan was to hide until I no longer could. I first went to the archery range it was empty but after a while I saw some people coming towards me and ran. The weapon's room was locked but the gym was empty and my last option since the girls' room was too vulnerable for me. Everything was covered in a blanket of dust, I didn't bother turning the lights on because they pierced my eyes. I sat in a corner staring at the walls. My head still hurt from my first astronomy class. In middle school I could Stargaze and manipulate Star Stones in my sleep and now I couldn't do it without having a fear of losing consciousness.

The door creaked open. I held up my hand, shielding myself from the Starlight shining on my face.

"Annabelle?" Tristan called. I debated staying quiet. But the truth is it was freezing cold in here and I was exhausted.

"I'm here." I said. He rushed to my side.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

I got to my feet and leaned against the wall for support.

"I was supposed to be hiding," I told.

"Come on," he said. "Let's get you to your room."

Tristan waited outside the girls' room until I went inside. No one was there except Raelynn, she sat on my bed with a bowl of broth and a stale bun. The broth smelled good and despite my plan to not eat anything I drank every last drop of it. The bun was alright. I could feel the warm liquid go down my throat. Raelynn went to the training area and I followed her. Phoenix was giving archery lessons and Nathan forced me to stab a dummy for practicing how to use a dagger. I regretted doing that because there was no point. Raelynn had me on the treadmill for what seemed like forever. Phoenix didn't push too much during archery and abruptly I wasn't terrible at it this time. Looks like the practice paid off.