Chapter 5

I opened my eyes and tried to focus on the words in front of me. I glanced at Amara, she was furiously scribbling notes. She gave me a look that said, It's okay. Only a few more minutes.

Lyra, sitting behind Amara was switching her highlighters for each sentence she came across in her textbook. Lewis was surprisingly interested in the lecture. Tristan was sitting next to me, he grinned and pointed at the book on my desk. He was telling me to open it and pay attention. I rolled my eyes playfully but obeyed.

I knitted my eyebrows in confusion, the pages were completely blank. Everyone else's textbooks were inked with information. I raised my hand, that's when I noticed the teacher wasn't there. Was anyone even teaching this class or were we just sitting here doing nothing?

Everyone was doing their own thing. I looked at Tristan hoping he would get my message. He didn't even look at me. He was too busy laughing at a joke McKenna had told him. I snapped my fingers in front of him but he chuckled.

I rubbed my eyes, I blinked. I was sitting in an empty classroom.

Something had changed in the room. It was the blackboard hanging in front of me. I squinted my eyes to see what was written on it. It was one letter. No. It was a Sign. A vertical S intersecting a U. Ophiuchus.

I would have been okay with that except that it written in blood. I couldn't scream, my voice didn't work.

I covered my eyes with my hands but for some reason I wanted to look at the morbid writing in front of me. I got out of my seat, slipped and fell through the floor.

I sat up as soon as I realized it was a dream. I was falling in a dream and now I'm in bed. I groaned, I hate when that happens.

"She's still alive!" someone announced, their voice sounded relieved.

Nathan was standing in front of me with his arms crossed. "Rise and shine, Belle." He grinned.

"Of course I'm still alive!" I countered. "Unless I'm dreaming and I'm actually in the last five seconds of my life!"

I looked around and touched myself as if that would be reassuring to the fact that I'm still breathing.

Nathan tried not to laugh. "Belle, calm down," he told.

"Please don't call me Belle." We don't know each other that well.

"Sorry," he said.

"I thought you weren't allowed in the girls' quarters." I recalled.

"Huh?"

"Yeah..." I swallowed. Trying to catch my breath.

"Annabelle, you're in the hospital wing." he told.

That's when I noticed the change of scenery. White walls with paint chipping out of some places, a dozen beds lined up against the wall and two small windows on each side. It was almost the same as the room I'd been in before. Except for the high ceilings, smell of dry blood and a freaked out Phoenix lying on the bed next to me with an ice pack on her head.

"Raelynn came to check on you," he told. "So did Alfred and..." he stopped himself.

I waited for him to give me a name, or to at least cover it up.

"And?" I pleaded.

He opened his mouth but I cut him off, "You know what? Nevermind."

"How long was I out?" I asked.

"Few hours." he shrugged.

"Felt like a lifetime though." I stated.

"I'll ask Alfred to call the doctor." Nathan said.