Epilogue

My breathing fastened, mouth going dry as Granny demanded for one last time that I calm down. A maid offered me a drink with a straw so I wouldn't ruin my lipstick. I sucked it all down.

A maid held my dress's train, it was a green thing with off-the-shoulder sleeves which flowed into a net, creating a cape-like effect on the dress. I wore no jewelry except a gold heavy headband with an emerald at my forehead and obviously the ring Alec had given me. My shoes were glittery heels, Granny insisted that I keep my hands free of accessories since a new Sign would be burned into my wrist.

The royal family with Dad and Hope sat a the front seats in the Lawn. All the other guests were looking strict, sitting with their chins up. Granny took her seat. Rasal was slithering behind me. His Star Stones had been polished for the occasion.

Good luck, milady. He said with sympathy and sorrow.

Thank you...and I'm sorry. I choked back the tears.

It's not your fault, milady.

Me and Alec were supposed to enter from opposite sides of the Lawn at the same time. He looked anxious, he tried to smile at me but it was hard to tell since my eyes were glassy and he was on the other side of the grounds. There was a white backdrop, where we were supposed to stand and exchange Signs, decorated with Stargazer Lilies. I had been told to give Alec Ophiuchus instead of Virgo. Taking advantage of me. He only had Hydra so that's what I'd get.

"Lady Virgo," a maid whispered. "It's time."

I sucked in a deep breath and slowly started walking. An image flickered in front of me, it was the Star Spirit, she was crying and judging by her expression she was pitying me but there was also disappointment. She quickly vanished. Alec went first, he asked for my hand I gave it and closed my eyes as Hydra's symbol burned into my flesh.

But I had an epiphany, one that raised my spirits. I was a single Star in darkness. And Stars can't shine without darkness.

End of book two.