Chapter 8

We talked through the whole night. When we got tired of the cafeteria we took a walk outside, underneath the Stars. Alfred was really good at conducting Virgo, even though he did well, I was obviously better.

I told him everything. I told him about my friends, school and even what it was like to live in Hydrus.

"No, but really," he started. "Magda never talked about me?"

"I did ask her once if I had a grandfather or not and she just said he passed away a long time ago." I admitted. "The question seemed to bother her so I didn't ask for an explanation."

"Oh, well, I suppose we all have to move on eventually." he didn't sound disappointed. More like he expected it, but he wasn't disheartened either.

Crimsyn State was quiet and asleep. The Stars were the only source of light. We were Stargazing outside the girls' quarters. We had to talk in loud whispers because we didn't want to disturb anyone.

Then something popped in my head. I was hesitant to ask but I just had to know. "Can I ask you something?" I mumbled.

"Go ahead," he said.

"Did you bring me here because you needed me here or because you wanted me here?" I blurted.

He was a bit embarrassed, judging from the blush spread across his face. But I really wanted to know.

A small part of me hoped that it was because he actually wanted me here, I know these people need me here too but I wish Alfred wanted me here because I was his only grandchild.

For some reason, I'm glad he didn't answer right away. He thought long and hard about what I said.

"Annabelle," he sighed. I turned to face him. "I know it may seem as if I only brought you here because it was finally time for you to be a part of all this but honestly, I thought about your grandmother, your dad and you ever since I left."

"But I did what I had to. I would have brought them here with me if they would have understood. And the only reason you're here right now is because I want you here."

I smiled at him and he did the same.

"I'm glad you said that," I grinned. "It's good to have a family member I can talk to."

"Same here," he raised his hand.

"Now tell me," I said. I concentrated hard on Virgo and it sent a shot of pain through my entire body. Nonetheless, I didn't stop. "What's your favorite Constellation?"

"Easy, Ophiuchus." he answered, a smile spread across his face.

"It's not Virgo?" I challenged, making the Constellation shine brighter which only made my head throb and the Signs on my wrists were burning.

"Maybe second favorite." he said.

I finally stopped which made me a little dizzy. "I think I should go to bed now," I yawned.

"Yeah, it late." he agreed. "You have a training session tomorrow with Raelynn."

"What?" I yelped.

"Yes, someone is going to have to get you in shape." he pointed out.

"Fine," I snarled.

"Goodnight," he waved.

"Goodnight," I said lethargically.

Alfred walked to the Conference Hall, I don't know why he was going there, maybe he had battle strategy to work on or a late night meeting. I didn't bother thinking about it too much.