Chapter 6

I didn't tell anyone about whatever was causing the pain in my hand. As far as they knew I was completely fine.

Phoenix gave me the day off today. She didn't seem bothered by it. My injuries healed quicker than expected.

I decided to try and talk to Alfred. I mean...one of us to start the conversation, and I'm willing to compromise.

The only problem was, I never got the chance to talk to him. He was always running around, giving orders, doing paperwork or traveling.

Tristan would be here in a few days. I didn't know how to feel about him at the moment.

"Hey," Nathan greeted as he sat next to me outside the girls' quarters.

"Hi," I replied.

"So," he started. "Your best friend is coming to visit you on an army base."

I snorted but it was hard to hide my smile.

"That. Is. So sweet." Nathan put his hands on his chest dramatically.

I slapped his shoulder. "Shut up!" I demanded.

I couldn't wait to see Tristan, maybe a familiar face will make all of this seem a bit normal. Well, as normal as this place gets. But I had to accept the fact that he's not only coming to see me, he's coming back to join a rebellion. Fortunately, that includes me too!

He chuckled. "What? Are you nervous?"

"Why would I be nervous?"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "Have you ever seen Tristan in a setting besides school or whatever it is that you do?"

"No," I answered. "But why would I be nervous about seeing Tristan anywhere?"

"Because..." he hesitated. "He's kinda scary and angry when he's training. So, pretty much everyone is scared of him sometimes."

"Wait..."

How did I not realize this before? I'm so dumb. I cursed under my breath.

"What is it?" Nathan worried.

"You know Tristan?" I asked. "Personally know him?"

"No," he answered, a little embarrassed. "He comes here a lot but since he's tall and strong and popular, I've never actually talked to him."

"Oh," I mumbled. "Well, the first thing I'm going to do when he gets here is introduce the two of you."

"If you want." Nathan didn't seem to care.

"That's what friends do." I told.

"Are you okay, now?" he changed the subject.

I knitted my eyebrows in confusion. "Huh?"

"I meant your injuries."

"Oh," I realized. "They're almost healed."

I fidgeted with the hem of my sweater. I hadn't changed my clothes or had a shower since I got here. I almost gagged.

"Something's bothering you." Nathan observed.

Yeah, maybe it's the fact that I'm sweaty and grimy and gross. I could really use a bath right now.

"Nothing, maybe it's my headache." I lied.

"No, it's something else."

I glared at him.

"I just miss my friends." It wasn't a lie and I didn't realize how much I wanted to be with Tristan, Amara, Lyra and maybe even Lewis.

"I don't think I'm supposed to tell you this but..." he hesitated. "They'll be here."