Chapter 7

After my talk with Alfred I felt a bit more relaxed about staying at Crimsyn State. Now that I know my mother used to live here, it felt as if she was with me.

I was waking up early and maybe I wasn't as depressed as I was a few days ago. The cuts on my hands weren't fully healed but Phoenix took no mercy on me during our training session.

She was rough and determined. Every once in a while she'd yell out orders or spit out curses but put up with here in the hope that if I'm nice to her she'll loosen up a bit. Boy, was I wrong!

By the end of the day I'd be soaked with sweat, I'd have injuries and bruises and I would be bleeding in places I didn't even know existed.

I did get to take a long shower at the end of all the torture. I hope I didn't finish all the hot water because I think I showered way longer than I should have and this place rarely ever gets warm water.

I had asked Raelynn for some more clothes and she told me to look in the lost and found, which was a room right next to the weapons room. It had armour and boots and helmets and most of them were from people who had died wearing those clothes.

I wasn't comfortable in the loose and baggy trousers and sweaters I was being forced to wear, let alone hand-me-downs from dead soldiers.

Raelynn confirmed that all the stuff was clean and washed but I couldn't help but cringe. I picked out a pair of black leggings, an emerald green shirt, a black jacket and a pair of fresh socks.

I scrubbed away the sweat and blood, my hair was finally clean, so was the rest of my body. I was brand new and polished after my hour in the bathroom.

I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and it was no longer before the dreams came.

Images of the Stars and the Hydras and my trips to the palace. I got fragments of my memories. One from graduation, from prom and then the some from when I was Stargazing back at home.

Home. The thought of being back in my bedroom in Stellaregno made my heart ache. And I don't think you can even have heart aches in dreams.

Then the part where I was locked up in palace with Nathan. It felt as if my life was being played in front of me like a movie.

The images washed away and after that my sleep was dreamless.

Every time I take a shower before going to sleep, I never want to wake up the next morning.

Phoenix pulled the covers off of me and demanded that I go and get breakfast because she didn't want to be late for my archery lesson. I groaned into the pillow, it was damp from my wet hair. The sheets were surprisingly warm and cozy.

"Annabelle, get up!" Phoenix demanded.

"But this bed is calling my name," I joked.

"Oh, for Stars' sake!" she snatched the pillow from underneath my head and smacked it in my face. That opened my eyes.

"Did you have to do that?" I rubbed my nose. "I think you broke my nose,"

"Puh-lease!" she said. "You're lucky I didn't splash water on you."

"But my nose!" I complained.

"Why don't I break every bone in your body?" she threatened, holding up both her fists.

I chuckled and she slapped my shoulder playfully. This was what I needed right now, a friendly moment.

"Now, get up!" she threw the pillow back in my face and that sent me back into sleeping position.