07| weak bones

CHAPTER 7

"Hi. It's me
I missed you, I missed you
Yeah...I have missed me too"

- Nathaniel's Lyric Journal

"HEADS UP. ANGELA IS IN the parking lot" David muttered past me.

Peering from the cashier, I turned to the window to at the empty parking lot before turning back to David's smirk on his face. Angela was been to this diner with the same friends during my first week of work. David joked she was only there to see me, but I was not so sure. I learned quickly many people my age ritually came to this diner. The food served here was pretty good- my manager Lily made me try several times, and it was constantly filled with people around my age.

"I think you are overthinking this..." I hummed to David, counting the different bills deftly under my fingertips.

My mouth dried up when I was Angela walk through the entrance, walking alone towards the cashier. I lifted a hand to wave at her.

"Hey, Nathaniel," Angela said with a smile. Her long ponytail tilted when she angled her head.

"Hi Angela," I greeted her, pulling a nearby notepad by the cashier. "What can I get you?"

She smiled before she pulled out her phone from her pocket before showing it to me, leaning in closer to me. A vanilla scent appealed my senses while she pointed to the list filled with different orders.

"This is what I need she said. "And I this all to go."

I nodded. "Of course. Give me a minute to copy it down."

I wrote down the words quickly.

"Sorry for the big order," she apologized sheepishly. "I'm having a get together later tonight, and we are getting a lot of food."

I ripped off the order from the notepad with no hesitation. "Don't worry about it. It's great for the diner so no one is complaining."

She laughed before smiling. "I'm glad. How are you enjoying your time in Alabama so far?"

I peered up to Angela's easy smile. It was a disarming smile- or it was supposed to. If she was a girl in New York, I would've felt something for a smile like that, but I just felt empty.

"It's great," I rushed, not wanting to think too deeply about her question- holding back a potential spiral. "Still taking some time to adjust." 

Despite the light-hearted tone in my voice, it left a bitter after taste. This was not a surprise.

I learned a long time ago that the truth tends to do that. 

"You're right," she declared with a laugh, bringing her head back with another glittery smile. "There's not as much as New York City, but I can definitely show you some things to do around here sometime. Actually...you are more than welcome to join me later today with my friends if you have time."

That did not sound like a bad idea. I probably should have accepted it but the idea of going to talk and meet new people felt exhausting to me.

"I'm a little tired tonight," I told her honestly. "But honestly invite me next time. I will hold you up to it.

She stuck out a hand with her phone. "Here. Give me your number, and I can text you sometime later this week when I am free."

I took the phone and entered my number slowly. I handed her the phone slowly, her smile growing slightly bigger when her phone ended up back on her hand.